Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Hardening Soft Pine

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:28:34 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary

I know that Watco penetrates and hardens pine. The polyurethane will
help. Even maple, oak and cherry will dent. Dents are fairly easy to
fix using a hot iron tip and a wet paper towel, although this may
damage a poly finish. In the long run dents can add character to a
piece.