Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

Default Hardening Soft Pine

It gets hard the more you stroke it!.......Just kidding, the pine will dent
no matter what type of finish you use, but the harder finishes will crack
when applied to pine and it gets dented.

I recommend using Tung Oil or Boiled Linseed oil as a protectant as they are
forgiving finishes and can easily to retouched up if there is a problem, it
usually can be done without resanding!

Jon

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I am building a table/kitchen island out of soft pine. Is there
anything I can do to make the surface harder? I plan on using
a sealer/stain and several coats of poly. But that might not add
enough dent resistance.

Thanks,
Gary