Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large Frame for Painting

I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting. I have no idea where
to start. I have stretched the painting onto a 1by frame.

Issues: How do I fasten the outer frame to the painting? I don't want
to have a huge piece of lumber with a 1" rabbet since it will be
rather heavy but if that's the method then so be it.

what are good materials to use? I was looking at pre-made molding
since I don't have a shaper. I might also go with pine and do a table
saw cove cut.

Has anyone seen some plans or suggestions online? I have done a few
searches but have not found anything.

I have assured SWMBO that it will be framed before the holiday guests
arrive so any help/suggestions/commiseration would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jeffgee wrote:
I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting. I have no idea where
to start. I have stretched the painting onto a 1by frame.

Issues: How do I fasten the outer frame to the painting? I don't
want
to have a huge piece of lumber with a 1" rabbet since it will be
rather heavy but if that's the method then so be it.

If it's on a 1x stretcher then you need a frame deep enough to hold
it.

what are good materials to use? I was looking at pre-made molding
since I don't have a shaper. I might also go with pine and do a
table
saw cove cut.

Has anyone seen some plans or suggestions online? I have done a few
searches but have not found anything.

I have assured SWMBO that it will be framed before the holiday
guests
arrive so any help/suggestions/commiseration would be appreciated.

Your three big problems with framing are getting good, precise, clean
miters in the corners (this is one time that there is _no_ slack
because people are going to be standing close to it in a good light),
getting the frame square, and getting reliable joints.

I strongly recommend making a smaller frame out of scrap wood first to
get the technique down.

As for mounting the painting in the frame, normally brads are used.
There's a ten buck tool purpose made for setting them--its main
advantage is that it cuts way down on the number of ways that you can
slip and tear the painting.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5337 is one example.
Any major art supply store should have something equivalent. There
are also purpose made "points" that need a special tool for
insertion--I don't think you really need to worry about them. There
are "v-nails" that are intended to hold the corners together--on small
frames they work, I wouldn't trust them on one the size of yours.

Now, another suggestion--if there's a Woodcraft near you see if they
have a copy of the January 2007 issue of "Woodcraft Magazine". It
shows how to make a very nice but somewhat unusual frame that doesn't
have any miter joints--you can make it entirely on the table saw. It
uses half-lap joints rather than miters, so it's strong as all getout,
and if you make it with sufficient precision then it's pretty much
self-squaring. You could order the back issue but if you need the
frame done by Christmas you're tight on time.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

jeffgee wrote:
I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting. I have no idea where
to start. I have stretched the painting onto a 1by frame.

Issues: How do I fasten the outer frame to the painting? I don't
want to have a huge piece of lumber with a 1" rabbet since it will
be rather heavy but if that's the method then so be it.

You need enough of a rabbet to contain the stretcher and keep it from
slopping around laterally but it need not be the full depth of the
stretcher. Or even close to it.

There are spring clips made for holding the stretcher within the
rabbet. Been years since I saw one and I don't recall exactly how
they function but they are maybe 3/8" wide and 2 1/2 - 3" long. Brads
diagonally into the stretcher is another way. Still another is to use
strips of thin, narrow metal stock and bend them into "Z"s so they can
be attached to both stretcher and frame back with brads or small
screws. Regardless of the manner used to secure the stretcher in the
frame, you don't need a whole bunch...2-3 per side should be plenty.
________________

what are good materials to use? I was looking at pre-made molding
since I don't have a shaper. I might also go with pine and do a
table saw cove cut.

You can use about anything. Including plywood. A piece of ply can
have an appropriately sized hole cut in it...the ply can be
upholstered or covered with wall paper or texture paint...make the
back "rabbet" by fastening wood strips to the ply...finish inside and
outside edges with strips of wood.

Don't like that? OK, use four pieces of wood and doweled butt joints.
Or half laps. Or bridle joints.

Or you can screw around with standard miters, bevels and the like
_______________

Has anyone seen some plans or suggestions online? I have done a few
searches but have not found anything.

Browse away...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...rame&um=1&ie=U
TF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
________________

I have assured SWMBO that it will be framed before the holiday
guests arrive so any help/suggestions/commiseration would be
appreciated.

Think outside the box and make something interesting that is
appropriate both to the painting and your home.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 12:32 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
jeffgee wrote:
[...]

thanks. Actually it will be high above the fireplace so the standing
close won't be as much of an issue as previous frames I've made but
tightness of joints will still be an issue.
I seems as if maybe you misunderstood the fastening part. I have one
of those little plier looking things and the black tabs for holding
pics and glass and cardboard in my smaller frames but this thing is 4
feet by 6 feet. Those little foldable tabs will surely not come close
to holding it in.
I have constructed quite a few "normal" sized frames and have the
process pretty well in hand, it's just that this thing is a) going to
be huge in comparison and b) not going to lay flat like the smaller
frames but will be angled in our out much like crown molding.
I'll check out that issue. I do have a woodcraft close by.
thanks for your suggestions

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 1:50 pm, (J T) wrote:
Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 10:25am (EST-3) (jeffgee)
doth sayeth:
I need to build a 4' X 6' frame for a painting. snip

OK, I want to know what the painting is? Dogs playing cards?
Elvis? Those are the only subjects that immediately come to mind for a
painting that size.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

It's that really cool one with all the dead people on the old chevy.

Actually, it's a pretty sweet oil of a Venice (Italy) street scene.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 2:17 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
jeffgee wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Very good. Thanks so much
Posted to rec.woodworking

J T took a can of maroon spray paint on November 28, 2007 07:29 pm and wrote
the following:

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 1:20pm (EST-3) (jeffgee) doth
sayeth:
snip Actually, it's a pretty sweet oil of a Venice (Italy) street
scene.

I take it no cars then.

James Bond crashing his Ferrari into a gondola, on velvet, happy now.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 8:30pm (J.*Clarke) doth
sayeth:
Bloody Yanks can't even get a velvet horror right. Ferrari indeed. James
Bond is _British_--he drives an Aston-Martin or a Bentley or a Lotus (or
on one notable occasion a Hawker) unless he had to nick some Eye-tie's
ride. Well, once Q foisted that horrid BMW off on him, but 007 did the
right thing . . .

I didn't say it, he did - bad Yankee. If I was gonna lust for a
Eyetalian vehicle, it'd be a Stratos.
http://www.stratossupersite.com/history.htm But as I recall, Bond's
original vehicle was a Blower Bently. Now that would be a vehicle to
lust for.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 8:30pm (J. Clarke) doth
sayeth:
Bloody Yanks can't even get a velvet horror right. Ferrari indeed.
James Bond is _British_--he drives an Aston-Martin or a Bentley or a
Lotus (or on one notable occasion a Hawker) unless he had to nick
some Eye-tie's ride. Well, once Q foisted that horrid BMW off on
him,
but 007 did the right thing . . .

I didn't say it, he did - bad Yankee. If I was gonna lust for
Eyetalian vehicle, it'd be a Stratos.
http://www.stratossupersite.com/history.htm But as I recall, Bond's
original vehicle was a Blower Bently. Now that would be a vehicle
lust for.

Now the spy whose vehicle collection I always lusted after was John
Steed.