Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter H

Default Painting Metal Pannels - Large Building

Hope someone here can help with this one.

I'm on the Board of Directors for an 8 story condo. The building is
about 15 years old, blonde brick, with large blue/green metal panels
along the top of the building. The problem is that the metal panels are
oxidizing and look awful. I'm sure that the paint was "baked on "
originally.

I hadn't thought that they could be repainted, but we've had a painter
assure us that they can be cleaned up and painted and the paint will
stay on the panels. I'm concerned that the paint will last a few years
and then start to come off and stain the brick below it, causing even
more problems.

Any comments would be appreciated.

tia

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

With the proper prep, prime and paint, there is no reason it should not last
as long as any other quality exterior paint job 10-15 years (my car's paint
job only lasted 11 years). When paint fails, it usually fades or flakes. I
ve never heard of it running down and staining anything. Now rust, that
will stain.

"Peter H" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hope someone here can help with this one.

I'm on the Board of Directors for an 8 story condo. The building is
about 15 years old, blonde brick, with large blue/green metal panels
along the top of the building. The problem is that the metal panels are
oxidizing and look awful. I'm sure that the paint was "baked on "
originally.

I hadn't thought that they could be repainted, but we've had a painter
assure us that they can be cleaned up and painted and the paint will
stay on the panels. I'm concerned that the paint will last a few years
and then start to come off and stain the brick below it, causing even
more problems.

Any comments would be appreciated.

tia

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
Hope someone here can help with this one.

I'm on the Board of Directors for an 8 story condo. The building is
about 15 years old, blonde brick, with large blue/green metal panels
along the top of the building. The problem is that the metal panels are
oxidizing and look awful. I'm sure that the paint was "baked on "
originally.

I hadn't thought that they could be repainted, but we've had a painter
assure us that they can be cleaned up and painted and the paint will
stay on the panels. I'm concerned that the paint will last a few years
and then start to come off and stain the brick below it, causing even
more problems.

Any comments would be appreciated.

tia

Peter H

Go directly to the paint manufacturer's web site and ask.
They may have a local tech rep who will come to the site and advise.
TB