Pounds on Wood

Default Painting an interior door frame

A question for experienced painters he when painting a room, how do you
handle the color transition at an interior door. Assuming the adjacent room
is a different color, what line do you paint to on the door frame. Let's
assume the door swings toward the room being painted. Do you paint up to
the door stop molding? Do you paint the edge of the door stop molding that
the door contacts? Or do you not paint the door frame at all and just paint
the wall molding? Is there a right and wrong way to do this?

Thanks,
--
Bill Pounds

dadiOH

Pounds on Wood wrote:
A question for experienced painters he when painting a room,
how do you handle the color transition at an interior door.
Assuming the adjacent room is a different color, what line do you
paint to on the door frame. Let's assume the door swings toward
the room being painted. Do you paint up to the door stop molding?
Do you paint the edge of the door stop molding that the door
contacts? Or do you not paint the door frame at all and just paint
the wall molding? Is there a right and wrong way to do this?

Conventionally, the door and all its trim is the same color; i.e., wall one
color, door & trim another. Next most common = door one color (often same
as room), all door trim another color.

You can - of course - do whatever turns you on.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

cm

Greetings fellow woodturner,

Most of the homes we paint, the door and jamb are some shade of off white,
so we just paint up to the door moulding. If you are painting the jambs the
same as the wall color I would paint up to the point that the door stop
moulding meets the door so all the jamb and mouldings on that side of the
door are the same color as the wall.

Have fun,

Craig McCormick

www.azcraig.us

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

A question for experienced painters he when painting a room, how do
you
handle the color transition at an interior door. Assuming the adjacent
room
is a different color, what line do you paint to on the door frame. Let's
assume the door swings toward the room being painted. Do you paint up to
the door stop molding? Do you paint the edge of the door stop molding
that
the door contacts? Or do you not paint the door frame at all and just
paint
the wall molding? Is there a right and wrong way to do this?

Thanks,
--
Bill Pounds

Pounds on Wood

Thanks Craig,
I think that is what I have done before, painting up to the inside corner of
the door stop moulding, on the door side of the casing. One side of the
door will be one color, the other side another, and this way when the door
is closed you will only see the room color scheme on each side. And I guess
that looks right when the door is open too.

Incidentally, the DC motor and control is still working great on my lathe.
How many years has that been?

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop