Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue Getting Old? Maybe not.

I am working on a project and wanted to refill my smaller glue container
from the quart container of TB III and noticed that the glue in the quart
container had almost turned to a pudding like consistency. As the glue
almost poured out when I squeezed the bottle but sucked back into the bottle
when I quit squeezing I thought that this half bottle of glue had expired.
I have 2, 1 quart bottles and the unopened one was fine and both were bought
at the same time.
So, I called Franklin International and told them that I thought I had a
bottle of glue that had gone bad, what can you do for me. They indicated
that they have only seen the glue sometimes begin to gel, like putting. I
had not told them what was wrong however his description matched my problem.
The very simple solution to fix and return the gel like glue to a chocolate
milk liquid was to simply "whack" the bottle a couple of times with the palm
of your hand. Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle suddenly turned to a
liquid again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

The very simple solution to fix and return the gel like glue to a
chocolate milk liquid was to simply "whack" the bottle a couple of times
with the palm of your hand. Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle
suddenly turned to a liquid again.

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

It's a small world out there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

I think you are showing your age there Lee. I remember many years ago the
magical whack and or jiggle of the knob would make the reception on any TV
or radio come in better. These days there are no knobs to jiggle and
printed circuits don't respond in a benefitting way to being whacked. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

I think you are showing your age there Lee. I remember many years ago the
magical whack and or jiggle of the knob would make the reception on any TV
or radio come in better. These days there are no knobs to jiggle and
printed circuits don't respond in a benefitting way to being whacked. ;~)

Maybe you need a bigger whacker. :-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
et:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything
electronic and mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also
apples to glue.

I think you are showing your age there Lee. I remember many years
ago the magical whack and or jiggle of the knob would make the
reception on any TV or radio come in better. These days there are no
knobs to jiggle and printed circuits don't respond in a benefitting
way to being whacked. ;~)

You may still fix a modern TV with a good whack... Take a look at the
first story under the section "Rob's Experiences" he
http://repairfaq.org/sam/stories.htm#rs023

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

It's a small world out there.

LOL .. musicians have what is universally known as the "Peavey Fix" ...
whack/smack/kick the **** out of it and, magically, it works again ... First
time I've ever seen it applied to wooddorking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:33:47 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

LOL .. musicians have what is universally known as the "Peavey Fix" ...

In my neighborhood, Peaveys are used to keep the boat from drifting or
the band truck from rolling!

They did make a few decent sounding tube amps, but they also made some
really ugly sounding stuff...

Remember the natural oak Peavey basses of the 80's? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

Remember the natural oak Peavey basses of the 80's? G

I still have a Peavey 18 /2 10's from that era ... used to power it with a
GK 800RB, in crossover mode.

Would it ever thump! ... Ouch!

Huh? whaddidjyousay??

(haven't used it it in 15 years ... wonder what it'll bring on ebay?)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/11/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:54:24 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote

Remember the natural oak Peavey basses of the 80's? G

I still have a Peavey 18 /2 10's from that era ... used to power it with a
GK 800RB, in crossover mode.

I had the same cabinet. It was a replacement of a KILLER Yamaha 6x10
that the seller had to buy me when the *real* owner of the 6x10
appeared. G

That Yamaha was like a cut-down SVT cabinet, with less boomy bottom. I
never could find another of that beautiful sounding box.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote

Remember the natural oak Peavey basses of the 80's? G

I still have a Peavey 18 /2 10's from that era ... used to power it with a
GK 800RB, in crossover mode.

Would it ever thump! ... Ouch!

Huh? whaddidjyousay??

(haven't used it it in 15 years ... wonder what it'll bring on ebay?)

and you had to have the 7mm Stixson Gangley Wrench to just get the cover
off...
confusedly yours,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:08:51 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack"

Like The Fonz? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Leon" wrote

The very simple solution to fix and return the gel like glue to a
chocolate milk liquid was to simply "whack" the bottle a couple of times
with the palm of your hand. Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle
suddenly turned to a liquid again.

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

It's called "percussive maintenance".

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Leon" wrote

The very simple solution to fix and return the gel like glue to a
chocolate milk liquid was to simply "whack" the bottle a couple of times
with the palm of your hand. Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle
suddenly turned to a liquid again.

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and
mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.

It's called "percussive maintenance".

I'm a big fan of my BFH alignment tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle suddenly turned to a liquid
again.

Nice little physics lesson...thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
ron ron is offline

I seem to remember that a "magic whack" from my Dad used to fix us kids too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ron" wrote in message
I seem to remember that a "magic whack" from my Dad used to fix us kids
too.

Yeah.. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Aha! A thixotropic gel.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Those who hammer their guns into
plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
news
Aha! A thixotropic gel.

No, it was glue. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:47:58 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

I've been doing that since my first bottle of TB III, Leon..
I hope your call to Franklin was toll free, cuz it tells you on the label to
"hit vigorously on a hard surface" on the label.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message

I hope your call to Franklin was toll free,

It wuz.

cuz it tells you on the label to
"hit vigorously on a hard surface" on the label.. ;-]

Reeeeeally! I gunna go take a look.
Wellllll, the lable on mne says to shake vigeriousely by bumping on a table.
I only had to bump the bottle against my hand 2 or 3 times, no shaking at
all. That said, I'm going to shake it too. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:55:30 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

I hope your call to Franklin was toll free,

It wuz.

cuz it tells you on the label to
"hit vigorously on a hard surface" on the label.. ;-]

Reeeeeally! I gunna go take a look.
Wellllll, the lable on mne says to shake vigeriousely by bumping on a table.
I only had to bump the bottle against my hand 2 or 3 times, no shaking at
all. That said, I'm going to shake it too. ;~)

Lesson that I learned about 40 years too late.. NEVER use your body when you can
use a tool.. I'll hit it against the table..

If I would have bought and used a rubber mallet in my younger days, I know my
hands & wrists would be in a lot better shape now..
Of course, staying out of fights would have helped a lot, too...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
Lesson that I learned about 40 years too late.. NEVER use your body when you can
use a tool.. I'll hit it against the table..
If I would have bought and used a rubber mallet in my younger days, I know my
hands & wrists would be in a lot better shape now..
Of course, staying out of fights would have helped a lot, too...

Man...do I relate to that.
Being a woodcarver, I used the heel of my hand as a hammer for so
long, I crushed the blood vessels until my fingers shrank and turned
white...couldn't resist the brawls, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:51:34 -0800 (PST), DAClark
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
Lesson that I learned about 40 years too late.. NEVER use your body when you can
use a tool.. I'll hit it against the table..
If I would have bought and used a rubber mallet in my younger days, I know my
hands & wrists would be in a lot better shape now..
Of course, staying out of fights would have helped a lot, too...

Man...do I relate to that.
Being a woodcarver, I used the heel of my hand as a hammer for so
long, I crushed the blood vessels until my fingers shrank and turned
white...couldn't resist the brawls, either.

Yep.. tapping on wrenches, lathe handles, fence pickets, etc....
I nag my kids and anyone else in range about the value of a rubber mallet...