Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The good ol days...of October. (RANT)

OK, I just finished fighting with Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/B&D/etc.'s
useless website. They changed the servicenet a few weeks ago, and I've
noticed the following since then:

1) You cannot login without using IE.
2) You cannot get any information without registering and creating an
account. Previously, you could claim to be from out of the USA.
3) There is NO DIRECT LINK to the manuals. This should be the #1 link
right off of the stinkin' page, but it doesn't exist anywhere!!!
4) If you search for your tool's part number, you may or may not find
any documentation. About half of my tools (3-5 years old) were there.
None of my old ones were, except for my ancient circular saw, for which
I found a higher quality schematic online already.

This is easily the worst website I've seen in months, and I work in
IT. Several people at the company should be fired over this travesty.

Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Colin B." wrote in message:
respectfully snipped
| This is easily the worst website I've seen in months,

Amen! I just bought a used PC omnijig and wanted some additional templates.
Guess what? I could find nothing on the website, not through any search. I
called the Delta regional center and they said that all those templates were
discontinued. They said that I might find them on the website. I told the
guy that he should look at this himself and try to find anything. Good and
approiate post, Colin.

("The rest of the story", I did find the templates at a retailer on the net
after a long search.)

woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

{snip}
This is easily the worst website I've seen in months, and I work in
IT. Several people at the company should be fired over this travesty.

Colin

You are correct in that it is one of the worst websites to use.

However, from what I have read over some years following this NG, I cannot
state this is a travesty from the site's owner's point of view.
Re-Phrase: How do any of us know if the hard-to-use-website was not a web
design goal? What if the web site owner's don't want us to find the old
parts list.
What if the goal is to make us so angry we stop seeking old parts lists from
the web access and the service slowly melts away?

Question: Do any one here remember the term "built-in-obsolesce" and the
bean-counter's claim that supporting the product long beyond expected life
after manufacturing was cutting into profits? So, just what is the expected
life of a unisaw? I bet some here have good usable Delta saws pushing 40
years old at least.

Yes, that site is that bad.
Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:
{snip}
This is easily the worst website I've seen in months, and I work in
IT. Several people at the company should be fired over this
travesty.

Colin

You are correct in that it is one of the worst websites to use.

However, from what I have read over some years following this NG, I
cannot state this is a travesty from the site's owner's point of
view.
Re-Phrase: How do any of us know if the hard-to-use-website was not
web design goal? What if the web site owner's don't want us to find
the old parts list.
What if the goal is to make us so angry we stop seeking old parts
lists from the web access and the service slowly melts away?

Then why spend the money to even have them online at all?

Question: Do any one here remember the term "built-in-obsolesce" and
the bean-counter's claim that supporting the product long beyond
expected life after manufacturing was cutting into profits? So,
just
what is the expected life of a unisaw? I bet some here have good
usable Delta saws pushing 40 years old at least.

Yes, that site is that bad.
Phil

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:

{snip}
[...]

Well, my bandsaw is from 2000, and I had to phone Delta to get a manual for
it. If they make a bandsaw is supposed to be chucked after seven years, then
they're not a company I'll support. That's really the key: If they're not
willing (or able) to provide reasonable support for the products, then I'll
be happy to buy from their competitors because they clearly don't deserve to
stay in business. Not only do they not benefit from me replacing their gear
with newer stuff, but they've also lost me as a customer for net-new
purchases.

Bottom line is that I don't care. If I don't get support from a company, I
won't support the company. Planned obsolescence is short-term thinking which
will gut companies in the long run, and good riddance to 'em.

Colin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
[...]

I worked my way around that website to find out where the tech support
was. I finally found an email address and sent them an email asking
three questions about my Delta 14" wood lathe. I sent the email on Nov
8. On Nov 9 I received an automated reply (From DEWALT supoort) stating
that I should receive a response withing 24 hours. This is the 14th and
I have not seen the response yet. I had to stop holding my breath.

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
OK, I just finished fighting with Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/B&D/etc.'s
useless website. They changed the servicenet a few weeks ago, and I've
noticed the following since then:

The dewalt manuals (at least some of them) are avaialable on the dewalt
website.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
OK, I just finished fighting with Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/B&D/etc.'s
useless website. They changed the servicenet a few weeks ago, and I've
noticed the following since then:

I'm assuming you're talking about the following?

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/servicenet_home.aspx

1) You cannot login without using IE.

Haven't verified that, but I can view the information with Firefox on
Linux without logging in. The colour choices are a bit odd though...

2) You cannot get any information without registering and creating an
account. Previously, you could claim to be from out of the USA.

Hmm...without logging in I entered "50-760" in the little search window
on the front page and it took me to the information for my dust
collector. Clicking on the "instruction manual" link opened up a pdf
file. Same thing using "dw703" for my chopsaw.

3) There is NO DIRECT LINK to the manuals. This should be the #1 link
right off of the stinkin' page, but it doesn't exist anywhere!!!

Enter the model number in the little "find it now!" search window at the
upper left.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 4:50 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Colin B. wrote:
OK, I just finished fighting with Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/B&D/etc.'s
useless website. They changed the servicenet a few weeks ago, and I've
noticed the following since then:

I'm assuming you're talking about the following?

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/servicenet_home.aspx

1) You cannot login without using IE.

Haven't verified that, but I can view the information with Firefox on
Linux without logging in. The colour choices are a bit odd though...

No kidding! The link to the user manual is dark gray on a not-quite-
as
dark gray background. Nearly invisible until I rolled over it.

--

FF
Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin:

I feel your pain. But if you really want to spike
your blood pressure - go to MicroSoft's site-
using Netscape - on a Mac.

NINE pages, each with probably 30 cookies,
and S L O W loading pages at that, asking
for just about everything about me - including
my hat size (OK so that's a bit of an exaggeration.
Anyone still own a hat that isn't "adjustable"?)
- only to get a Page Not Found message at the end
of the ordeal. I felt like I was in a Monty Python
skit and had stumbled into the Office of Abuse
thinking I was meeting with The Minister Of Silly
Walks. I was sure my phone would ring and someone
on the other end would ask for my shoe size.
(non - Python people - ignore all references to
The Flying Circus show)

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 14, 11:26 pm, "Colin B."
wrote:
[...]

I have had good luck using www.ereplacementparts.com as a resource for
parts list and breakdowns. Sometimes their prices are higher
(sometimes lower) but the site is easier to use than service net. It
works fine with firefox as well. It's a good place to start anyway.