Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Hole Saw Mod Question

I'm anticipating having to cut out 32+ two inch discs with a hole
saw out of 1/2" plywood. I know I can cut thru less about the thichness
of a sheet of paper, then when I flip the wood over and drill from that
side, the disk will pull out very easily, or even drop out on its own.
However, I also know if I pull too hard on the hanedle here's a good
chance I'll drill totally thru, and then the disc will be a PITA to
remove.

I've been googling on this, but not found anything. So, I'm
wondering if there is any "mod" I can make to the hole saw to make the
disk drop out on its own, even if I drill totally thru the wood? I've
been considering setting the teeth for a wider cut, but would like to
know if anyone has successfully done that, or something else, that will
work. I don't like the idea of ruining the hole saw for nothing. Any
ideas that work, or am I stuck?

JOAT
Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now
where the Hell are my T-shirts?
- JOAT

Posted to rec.woodworking

At 2 inches, some brands of hole saw have both holes in the side and
the top that are exposed in normal operation - you'll have to compare
brands available in your area.

Then all you need is a tool that looks like a 'cone wrench'/'pin
wrench'/'angle grinder wrench'. A =====C shaped thingy with 2 dowels
that fit in the top holes and are long enough to push the disk clear.
That way you don't have to drop the hole saw out of the drill press or
unscrew it from the spindle every time a disk jams.

regards
Bruce

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 02:09:54 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Stack some fender washers on the drill bit and tape them in place. Or make
a wooden spacer/shim to stop the travel of the cut out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

I have cut a few 2 1/4 disks out of 1/4 plywood with a hole saw with the
drill bit removed. I cut the disk and leave it in the saw until I get with
in about 3/8 of the top of the slot in the side. I then turn off the drill
press and use a metal bar (screwdriver) to push out the disks. Once the
disks start to move on one side they come out with out much trouble. The
whole process for 2 or 3 hundred disks takes less then an hour. If you
leave the drill bit in the saw you will need to wiggle the disk from both
sides, a little harder and slower but doable. I have tried springs, blocks,
foamrubber and other ways to automaticly release the disks and and found
that all they do is mess up the disk surface and cause the disks to go
spinning around the shop. The problem I have found to be the worst is not
getting the disks out of the saw but getting a smooth clean edge with out
tearout. To take care of this I sand the edge of the disks using a phillips
screwdriver run through a bout 2 1/2 to 3 inches of disks and spinsand then
on the belt sander. Hold the screwdriver at about a 30 degree angle with
you fingers holding the disk firmily in postion, if you feel a burning of
your finger increase the angle to slow done the spinning of the disks.