Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen cabibet edges?

What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? I am using a solid wood 3/4" X
3/4" strip, but I'm wondering if that's too thick. Also, how do you attach
it, just edge glue, or something else? I'm using "0" biscuits.

manny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"manuel" wrote in message
What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? I am using a solid wood 3/4" X
3/4" strip, but I'm wondering if that's too thick. Also, how do you attach
it, just edge glue, or something else? I'm using "0" biscuits.

What's the material you are edging?

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

manuel wrote:
What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? I am using a solid wood
3/4" X 3/4" strip, but I'm wondering if that's too thick. Also, how
do you attach it, just edge glue, or something else? I'm using "0"
biscuits.

1. You can use pre-made iron on tape. It comes in plastic (polyester
IIRC) to match the colors of melamine boards and in wood in the more
commonly used species. You can get it (probably) at the same place
you got your sheet goods. It is slightly wider than 3/4" so it can be
trimmed flush after application.

2. You can make your own of solid wood in whatever thickness you wish.
The thinner it is the easier it is to trim flush after gluing on. You
don't need biscuits except to help align if using thick strips. Even
with biscuits I suspect you'll need to make the strips wider than the
edges and trim after gluing.

Personally, I make my own...1/16 to 3/8 max and trim with a hand
plane.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:04:10 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

"manuel" wrote in message
m...
What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? I am using a solid wood 3/4" X
3/4" strip, but I'm wondering if that's too thick. Also, how do you attach
it, just edge glue, or something else? I'm using "0" biscuits.

What's the material you are edging?

Tim w

Most of the time it is ply that I'm edging. Except for the
higher-end kitchen cabinets, they are ply or particle board and the
edges must be trimmed with wood. I've trimmed with white oak and got
excellent results. Thicker edges can use biscuits, although this does
little except help alignment. For thin trim, glue and clamp. There
are edging clamps you can buy or make that have three screws (maybe
you can rent/borrow clamps). Most wood glues will grab well in two
hours and then the clamps can be removed, but don't hurry the curing
time before working with it. If the finish is paint, use finish
nails, countersink, and fill the holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:04:10 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:
"manuel" wrote in message
om...

What do you use on exposed cabinet edges? [...].

What's the material you are edging?

Most of the time it is ply that I'm edging. [...]

Ply can be edged with a roll of pre-glued veneer edging tape. Especially
good is birch ply with maple veneer edging.

Tim w