Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Learning as I go

Well, I just found another benefit veneering can give to the novice.
If you've screwed all the panels up to a fare-thee-well you can just
sand the veneer off the carcass and start over.

Anyone need any burr elm powder?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 6:02 pm, FoggyTown wrote:

Well, I just found another benefit veneering can give to the novice.
If you've screwed all the panels up to a fare-thee-well you can just
sand the veneer off the carcass and start over.

Anyone need any burr elm powder?

Gotta good laugh out of that one. The whole veneering thing is
something I have cast an eye on more than once, but there are only so
many free hours. I have see some gorgeous work done with beautiful
veneers, and and that has always intrigued me.

I picked up a primo Gast vacuum about a year ago that was supposed to
power my vacuum experiments and my homebuilt vacuum chuck for my
lathe. So far, I haven't done a damn thing on either project.

Did you build your own bags or buy them? There is a ton of info on
veneering and I thought that craft would take off like a rocket, but
even at our local Woodcraft the veneers have been relegated to a small
corner of the store.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 23, 6:47?am, "
wrote:
On Oct 22, 6:02 pm, FoggyTown wrote:

Well, I just found another benefit veneering can give to the novice.
If you've screwed all the panels up to a fare-thee-well you can just
sand the veneer off the carcass and start over.

Anyone need any burr elm powder?

Gotta good laugh out of that one. The whole veneering thing is
something I have cast an eye on more than once, but there are only so
many free hours. I have see some gorgeous work done with beautiful
veneers, and and that has always intrigued me.

I picked up a primo Gast vacuum about a year ago that was supposed to
power my vacuum experiments and my homebuilt vacuum chuck for my
lathe. So far, I haven't done a damn thing on either project.

Did you build your own bags or buy them?
Robert

I haven't delved that deeply into it yet. I'm still at the contact-
cement-with-a-home-made-caul-press-on-top stage. I'm still trying to
get over the subtle but insidious feeling that veneering plywood or
MDF is somehow "cheating" or creating an inferior project.

FoggyTown

Learning Kevin Woodturning 10 April 4th 07 10:55 AM
Learning CAD Phil-in-MI Woodworking 5 June 16th 06 04:49 PM
Cad Learning Don Dando Woodworking 1 June 16th 06 08:41 AM
Learning to TIG Larry Jaques Metalworking 9 January 17th 06 12:42 AM
Learning CNC Routing Nickie Name Woodworking 2 June 1st 05 04:15 AM