Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown foggytown is offline

Default Learning as I go

On Oct 23, 6:47?am, "
wrote:
On Oct 22, 6:02 pm, FoggyTown wrote:

Well, I just found another benefit veneering can give to the novice.
If you've screwed all the panels up to a fare-thee-well you can just
sand the veneer off the carcass and start over.

Anyone need any burr elm powder?

Gotta good laugh out of that one. The whole veneering thing is
something I have cast an eye on more than once, but there are only so
many free hours. I have see some gorgeous work done with beautiful
veneers, and and that has always intrigued me.

I picked up a primo Gast vacuum about a year ago that was supposed to
power my vacuum experiments and my homebuilt vacuum chuck for my
lathe. So far, I haven't done a damn thing on either project.

Did you build your own bags or buy them?

Robert

I haven't delved that deeply into it yet. I'm still at the contact-
cement-with-a-home-made-caul-press-on-top stage. I'm still trying to
get over the subtle but insidious feeling that veneering plywood or
MDF is somehow "cheating" or creating an inferior project.

FoggyTown