Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leveling Casters - Opinions

Hello All,

Background first. I have a delta contractors saw with the delta over arm
blade guard. This saw is on the original Delta legs with two "screw down
casters". It is a beast to move around my garage.

I am planning on builing a new table saw station for the saw to move it
around. I am planning on doing the following:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=60201

I am sort of leary of using just "breaking" casters for the table. So in my
research I have found these leveling casters:

http://www.zambus.com/pages/ac300.htm

These casters are rated for 300 lbs each so 4 of them should be able to work
with the saw and the table. My concern is with the weight of the table and
the ease of which the caster will raise or lower. It appears that a manual
spin of the ring on the caster is needed.

The questions - anyone with experience with these things know how hard it
may be to raise that much weight with these things even though they are
rated for the weight? Pro's of this approach? Cons?

Really any input as to this idea before I spend the money would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Eric_Scantlebury" wrote in message
[...]

All of my tools are on casters with 1/2 bolts to use as levelers.
see:
http://tinyurl.com/2ffcu7

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 6:58 pm, "Eric_Scantlebury"
wrote:
[...]

Eric,

I have no experience with the caster/levelers you propose. That said,
I looked at the picture and I would think that you have to use your
thumb to actuate the leveler portion. I expect it is a lot of turns
by your thumb since you don't get much swing for each push. Multiply
that by how much you need to raise the saw (floor uneveness) and how
often you wish to move the saw around. I would probably find it a
pain to use this hardware and opt for something more user friendly
(i.e. a knob that could be turned more easily).

Just my take on it.

Good luck, Bill Leonhardt