Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which wood for making smoking pipes?

I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?
Posted to rec.woodworking

on 10/20/2007 7:26 PM Phisherman said the following:
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

Ask Brer Rabbit. He lives in a briar patch. :-)
Actually the wood comes from the White Heath tree, and from the roots.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Searc h

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

Pipes can be made out of a variety of materials, wood, clay, stone, corn
cobs, glass and the list goes on and on. Any dense wood without toxic
properties will work. I like cherry and hickory myself, I have known people
who swear by oak and others who love corn cob. Try a few different woods
and come up with your own favorites.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Curran Copeland wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

Pipes can be made out of a variety of materials, wood, clay, stone, corn
cobs, glass and the list goes on and on. Any dense wood without toxic
properties will work. I like cherry and hickory myself, I have known people
who swear by oak and others who love corn cob. Try a few different woods
and come up with your own favorites.

During WWII when the US was at war with Italy (where the briar wood for
pipes comes from) pipes were made from manzanita wood, which grows over
much of California.

--Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

I have several made from walnut, with stems from persimmon. They look
good and smoke good. But cherry sounds like a good wood.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There's nothing wrong with Southern
California that a rise in the ocean
level wouldn't cure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go to www.pipes.org and you will find several pipe
making suppliers. Also I know that Von Erk sells
pre drilled blanks as well as several others.
Puff

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for
making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is
there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for
making smoking pipes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I thought briar wood is the wood of choice for making smoking pipes. I
have not seen this wood available anywhere. Is there another name for
"briar wood?" What other woods are suitable for making smoking pipes?

If you will recall, Corn Cobs work for the business end. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

lignum vitae makes a nice pipe.

some woods to avoid:
purple heart
walnut
apatong
padouk

making wood less slippery alexy Woodworking 12 April 5th 05 04:39 AM
making a wooden stool - what wood? Chris Nellist UK diy 22 January 29th 05 05:04 PM
Pipes making loud Shrieking noise Mike Home Repair 4 September 10th 04 03:06 PM
Making holes in wood Arch Woodturning 4 August 20th 04 01:06 AM
Making wood filler Steve Goodin Woodworking 7 December 9th 03 09:26 PM