alexy

Default making wood less slippery

I need some ideas for doing this. Non-abrasive, so the fine sand
add-ins for floor paint are out. And I don't want anything as ugly as
the pine tar used on a baseball bat, but more in that line.

I have wooden bench dogs that insist on falling down in their holes.
They are (freshly) finished with tung oil. I imagine that as the oil
dries out, they will lose some of their slipperiness. And I could also
put a little wedge under the "spring" (a sliver of wood on the side
that springs out against the side of the dog hole) to shorten and
stiffen it. But is there something else I could put on the dog's body
or the dog hole sides to make their mating less slippery? (Keep it
clean, guys!)

Wood is SYP if that affects your answer.
Leon

Maybe some PSA sand paper on the dog and spring.

--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
alexy wrote:
I need some ideas for doing this. Non-abrasive, so the fine sand
add-ins for floor paint are out. And I don't want anything as ugly as
the pine tar used on a baseball bat, but more in that line.

I have wooden bench dogs that insist on falling down in their holes.
They are (freshly) finished with tung oil. I imagine that as the oil
dries out, they will lose some of their slipperiness. And I could also
put a little wedge under the "spring" (a sliver of wood on the side
that springs out against the side of the dog hole) to shorten and
stiffen it. But is there something else I could put on the dog's body
or the dog hole sides to make their mating less slippery? (Keep it
clean, guys!)

"Tincture of time" grin

For a temporary fix, try some rubber cement. just a strip down each side.

let dry *thoroughly* before using!

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:33:57 -0500, alexy wrote:

I need some ideas for doing this.

My wooden dogs are maple, with hickory springs screwed onto the side.
I adjust the spring presure by paper shims under the spring, where
it's screwed down.

Unquestionably Confused

alexy wrote:
I need some ideas for doing this. Non-abrasive, so the fine sand
add-ins for floor paint are out. And I don't want anything as ugly as
the pine tar used on a baseball bat, but more in that line.

I have wooden bench dogs that insist on falling down in their holes.
They are (freshly) finished with tung oil. I imagine that as the oil
dries out, they will lose some of their slipperiness. And I could also
put a little wedge under the "spring" (a sliver of wood on the side
that springs out against the side of the dog hole) to shorten and
stiffen it. But is there something else I could put on the dog's body
or the dog hole sides to make their mating less slippery? (Keep it
clean, guys!)

I made wooden bench dogs for my workbench but never put a spring on
them. Can't recall where I saw it (Fine Woodworking maybe)but I'll fess
up that it wasn't MY idea.

I used small bullet catches like you use for a inset cabinet door. One
set into the side of each dog making it maybe 3/16" proud. Never had
one slip through yet. Mine are walnut finished with Watco.

alexy

"Gene T" wrote:

Try using a rosin bag. Just lightly dust the dogs and that should keep them
from slipping.

Good idea. Not sure where I would find one. Might have some old rosin
from a violin bow, which might work.

I'm surprised no one mentioned beeswax. I remember as a kid rubbing it
on a bat handle to make it less slick.
alexy

"Leon" wrote:

Maybe some PSA sand paper on the dog and spring.

"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
I need some ideas for doing this. Non-abrasive, so the fine sand

Thanks. But the reason for specifying non-abrasive is that I didn't
want abrasive grains loose on my bench, and I didn't want something
that would enlarge the hole over time. And I think the fit if my dogs
is too tight to allow room for the psa paper.
alexy

Andy Dingley wrote:

My wooden dogs are maple, with hickory springs screwed onto the side.
I adjust the spring presure by paper shims under the spring, where
it's screwed down.

Thanks, Andy. I did a cruder version of just that. My springs are
glued rather than screwed (lack of foresight on the part of their
builder) but a small piece of wood inserted near the attachment point
serves as an adequate (if not easily fine-tuned) shim.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
alexy wrote:
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,
alexy wrote:
I need some ideas for doing this. Non-abrasive, so the fine sand
add-ins for floor paint are out. And I don't want anything as ugly as
the pine tar used on a baseball bat, but more in that line.

I have wooden bench dogs that insist on falling down in their holes.
They are (freshly) finished with tung oil. I imagine that as the oil
dries out, they will lose some of their slipperiness. And I could also
put a little wedge under the "spring" (a sliver of wood on the side
that springs out against the side of the dog hole) to shorten and
stiffen it. But is there something else I could put on the dog's body
or the dog hole sides to make their mating less slippery? (Keep it
clean, guys!)

"Tincture of time" grin

Thanks. I suspect that is the ultimate answer, and tightening the
springs seems to have done it in the meantime.

For a temporary fix, try some rubber cement. just a strip down each side.

let dry *thoroughly* before using!

Interesting idea! I suspect that it would not stick to the wood well
enough until the oil had dried--then we are back to your original
solution!

The entire purpose of rubber cement is to 'not stick well' to anything.

Rubber cement will "sorta" stick to durn near anything. And, when it doesn't
stick, or when you want to remove it, you just rub it off. The solvent in
it can leave mild stain marks if it sinks in. But with the oiled stock,
that shouldn't be a problem.

Pete Duncan

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:05:33 GMT, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

alexy wrote:

I have wooden bench dogs that insist on falling down in their holes.

But is there something else I could put on the dog's body
or the dog hole sides to make their mating less slippery? (Keep it
clean, guys!)

I made wooden bench dogs for my workbench but never put a spring on
them. Can't recall where I saw it (Fine Woodworking maybe)but I'll fess
up that it wasn't MY idea.

I used small bullet catches like you use for a inset cabinet door. One
set into the side of each dog making it maybe 3/16" proud. Never had
one slip through yet. Mine are walnut finished with Watco.

I think the spring-loaded bullet catch would work well as long
as the dogs have enough "meat" to contain them.

Along the same lines, I wonder if one could achieve a similar
effect by inserting a short piece of rubber, tubing, pencil eraser,
etc. into a small hole in the side of the dog? Something "spongey",
protruding just enough to compress as the dog is inserted into the
hole and firm enough to prevent it from slipping through.

Unquestionably Confused

wrote:
I used small bullet catches like you use for a inset cabinet door. One
set into the side of each dog making it maybe 3/16" proud. Never had
one slip through yet. Mine are walnut finished with Watco.

I think the spring-loaded bullet catch would work well as long
as the dogs have enough "meat" to contain them.

Along the same lines, I wonder if one could achieve a similar
effect by inserting a short piece of rubber, tubing, pencil eraser,
etc. into a small hole in the side of the dog? Something "spongey",
protruding just enough to compress as the dog is inserted into the
hole and firm enough to prevent it from slipping through.

Perhaps. Heck there are probably a number of different ways to tackle
this problem. As for enough meat on the dog? What the heck are we
talking about here? A couple of scrap pieces of hardwood, a few minutes
with the saw and sander to make a few new ones. It's not like we're
doing the whole benchg