Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much runout on TS is too much

My latest project requires me to rip some 1 1/2" Maple so I deicded to
check blade alignment.

I cobbled together a jig similar to this
http://www.newwoodworker.com/dilindjig.html
to check my setup

My alignment, which I think is OK, is 0.001". Not bad considering I
used this method to align my blade
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...l&catref=wd146
(whoever came up with that technique is a genius)

The runout measuered on the body of the blade is 0.003". I think this
is too much but it could be the 'silver' coating on the Avanti blade I
just bought.

Is 0.001" alignment close enough?
Is 0.003" blade runout too much?
Is it OK to have the dial indicator angled so the measurement can be
taken closer to the table or does it need to be 90deg?
(as seen here, but not my site)
http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65/dial_indicator.jpg

MT3 Collet Chuck Runout gavaness Metalworking 10 April 15th 06 01:48 AM
lathe chuck runout Jim Reed Metalworking 6 March 17th 06 06:15 PM
Drill Press Runout Tom Watson Woodworking 9 January 5th 06 03:57 PM
Shaper runout Ed Clarke Woodworking 3 March 30th 05 03:33 PM
Runout on 3 Jaw Chuck Steve Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 01:30 AM