Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gavaness

Default MT3 Collet Chuck Runout

I have a MT5 headstock on my lathe. I am toiling with the idea of
buying a MT3 collet chuck and a set of ER40 collets. I want to use a
MT5 to MT3 adapter between the spindle and the collet chuck. The
unknown is the combined runout of the MT5/MT3 adapter plus the chuck
plus the collets themselves. If anyone has been down this road, I'll
appreciate their opinions. Specifically, what runouts are you able to
achieve with this combination system? Thanks for your responses.

Garen Avanessian

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

gavaness wrote:
I have a MT5 headstock on my lathe. I am toiling with the idea of
buying a MT3 collet chuck and a set of ER40 collets. I want to use a
MT5 to MT3 adapter between the spindle and the collet chuck. The
unknown is the combined runout of the MT5/MT3 adapter plus the chuck
plus the collets themselves. If anyone has been down this road, I'll
appreciate their opinions. Specifically, what runouts are you able to
achieve with this combination system? Thanks for your responses.

Garen Avanessian

Why not use an MT5 ER40 holder? I have one surplus to my needs, purchased for
use with a former lathe. It's ETM brand, only used a few times on a tool &
cutter grinder, like new but a tad dusty. Can let it go for 50% of MSC's price
if you want it.

I got a nice set of ER40 collets once, and got adapters to use them on all my
machines. Don't have one with a 5MT spindle any more. I have a 5MT lathe center,
NOS, carbide tip too ..

To email me offline, use http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html, do NOT reply to
this posting as my reply-to address is completely bogus in all ways.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:42:01 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I got a nice set of ER40 collets once, and got adapters to use them on all my
machines. Don't have one with a 5MT spindle any more. I have a 5MT lathe center,
NOS, carbide tip too ..

Live or dead center?

Gunner with a 15" Clausing

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gavaness

What runouts are you able to achieve with the MT5 ER40 collet holder?

Garen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

gavaness wrote:

What runouts are you able to achieve with the MT5 ER40 collet holder?

Garen

No way to test, sorry.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

wrote:

I got a nice set of ER40 collets once, and got adapters to use them on all my
machines. Don't have one with a 5MT spindle any more. I have a 5MT lathe center,
NOS, carbide tip too ..

Live or dead center?

That's a dead center, Gunner. It would ship for $4.05 easily. Want it?

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

IMO, youd'd be better off to buy a Royal 5-C collet closer and set of
collets. Probably any adapter will introduce too much runout.

Bob Swinney
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
gavaness wrote:

What runouts are you able to achieve with the MT5 ER40 collet holder?

Garen

No way to test, sorry.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Robert Swinney :

gavaness wrote:

What runouts are you able to achieve with the MT5 ER40 collet holder?

Garen

No way to test, sorry.

[ ... ]

IMO, youd'd be better off to buy a Royal 5-C collet closer and set of
collets. Probably any adapter will introduce too much runout.

I don't know about that. The 5-C collet closer still needs an
adaptor nosepiece -- from the MT-5 spindle socket to the 5C -- plus a
protective cover over the spindle nose used for removing the adaptor.
This could introduce as much runout as a well-made ER40 collet holder
with a native MT-5 shank (which is what is being offered).

The benefit of the ER40 system is that a relatively few collets
cover the whole range, compared to those necessary for a 5C collet
system, which has a much narrower closure range, so you need more of
them to cover the whole range. If everything you want to hold is of
standard sizes, it is no problem -- but if you turn something do a
smaller diameter, and wish to hold it in a collet -- or if you want to
change between inch and metric sizes, the ER40 system can save you
money.

That said -- I use 5C collets in my 12x24" Clausing, and ER-32
(I think that's the size) in my Compact-5/CNC -- simply because each
came fitted with the proper adaptors. Oh yes -- also the Compact-5/CNC
is too small to accept 5C collets anyway. :-)

Perhaps the original poster should post just how much runout is
acceptable to him.

How much he will get -- with both the ER-40 and the 5C adaptors
will depend on how true the MT-5 socket is in the spindle.

The one disadvantage that I can see to the ER40 system is that
it will take up a bit more of the distance between centers than the 5C
would -- unless the 5C were mounted in a collet chuck (such as what
Bison offers), which is totally not needed in this case.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

gavaness wrote:

[...]

Well, if he has a proper 5C setup, he can pass stock through the 5C collets,
where the ER40 collets in a 5MT holder are blind.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Grant Erwin :
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

That said -- I use 5C collets in my 12x24" Clausing, and ER-32
(I think that's the size) in my Compact-5/CNC -- simply because each
came fitted with the proper adaptors. Oh yes -- also the Compact-5/CNC
is too small to accept 5C collets anyway. :-)

[ ... ]

The one disadvantage that I can see to the ER40 system is that
it will take up a bit more of the distance between centers than the 5C
would -- unless the 5C were mounted in a collet chuck (such as what
Bison offers), which is totally not needed in this case.

[ ... ]

Well, if he has a proper 5C setup, he can pass stock through the 5C collets,
where the ER40 collets in a 5MT holder are blind.

O.K. That is something which I overlooked. One reason is that
the holder for the ER32 collets in the Compact-5/CNC does not have that
particular problem. But with the 5MT setup, you would need a drawbar,
and I don't think that a drawbar for 5MT can be made hollow and large
enough to pass 1" stock through it -- even assuming that there is room
within the 5MT to clear stock at least part way through.

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564