Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Custom cabinetry question

I am having my kitchen completely redone and now going back and forth with a
cabinet maker on the final design and layout. He is going to build all the
cabinets and drawers with 3/4" plywood, and the doors would be solid wood
which he would order from somewhere. I will go pick out any hardware and he
would install them and basically I can call out any size cabinet
(width-wise) to fit my space so this is the custom aspect of it.

However he has a limited number of door styles. The one I like is shaker
style, however I would like a wide rail (say like 5 to 6")

standard shaker rail:
http://www.pennvillecabinetry.com/Doors/4112lg.jpg

wide shaker rail:
http://www.pennvillecabinetry.com/Doors/door453html.htm

In fact I want it to be even thicker than that. He told me he does not have
a supplier for it, but I see it everywhere even at Lowes and Home Depot. My
thought is if this is custom, shouldn't the door style be cusotm too? I
cannot imagine a simple door like that is hard to make.

Second, I wanted all drawers to be a flat panel - no rail. Whether it is a
4" deep drawer or 14" deep drawer - all drawers no rail. He said the deep
drawers comes with rails, so here is another issue.

I think there must be quite a few cabinet makers here, if you cater to
custom cabinetry, to what degree do you customize?

Second question is, how would a customer be able to see the final color,
texture, construction etc...of a cabinet? Do you do a sample? Do you take
them to a previous client's home to visit? How do you do it (if there is
not a show room).

Third, how do you structure payment? What is the usual, customary and fair
payment, percentage wise how much you pay upon contract signing etc...and
how much more at what milestone?

Thanks in advance,

MC