David & Betty Bridgeman

Default Electric outlet in cabinetry

I am building in cabinets, shelves and a window seat in my daughter's room.
My question is, are there any special considerations in installing outlets
in the sides of some of the cabinets. I plan to use shielded flexible
conduit to a box mounted from the inside of the cabinet.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Anthony VanCampen

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:45:49 -0500, David & Betty Bridgeman wrote:

I am building in cabinets, shelves and a window seat in my daughter's room.
My question is, are there any special considerations in installing outlets
in the sides of some of the cabinets. I plan to use shielded flexible
conduit to a box mounted from the inside of the cabinet.

Any other thoughts?

Treat it just like a remodeling project and get the assistance of a
licensed electrician. That way you know that you've used the right gage
wire and that it won't become a fire hazard.

Tigger

George E. Cawthon

David & Betty Bridgeman wrote:
I am building in cabinets, shelves and a window seat in my daughter's room.
My question is, are there any special considerations in installing outlets
in the sides of some of the cabinets. I plan to use shielded flexible
conduit to a box mounted from the inside of the cabinet.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Local codes may apply. But the answer generally
is you treat it just like any wall. You need to
protect the wall if the wire is accessible. Using
shielded flexible conduit (assume you mean
metal) would do that. Otherwise, you could cover
the) wire with wood, e.g., a 1x2 with a groove
large enough to accept the wire would provide
protection.
Wilson Lamb

Code?
I wanted one in the apron of my bathroom counter. I used a plate for a
pattern to cut the opening and routed out the back to put the outlet just
proud of the front surface. It is really neat and I use it all the time.
Actually I mounted an outlet/switch unit and used the switch for the light
over the sink...very convenient. I'll put a box over the back "someday".
In a not to code, I fed it from a GCFI outlet mounted in a box inside the
cabinet.
Wilson