Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone tried the below nailer from HF?

10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking

10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILERhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93909

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Yep, I've borrowed that one from a friend. It works - I'm sure it
will be fine for a few small jobs. The only minor gripe I had was
that you could only load one strip of nails at a time (or else it
would jam up between strips) and it would never fire the last 2 nails
in a strip. Never had any jams or misfires or other problems,
though. I'd definitely get one if I needed it for light-moderate use.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

My advice...try it out. Especially if you have a retail store near you.
I've had mixed results with HF nailers. I have a brad nailer/stapler that
works fine, but I tried a finish nailer that was crap. They took it back
with no problem.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

=====Thanks for the inputs. No local store, but guess I could always ship
it back if proves a dud.

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

Ok for occasional work. Like someone said it will jam two clips in. There
will be some misfires with two nails instead one. Also the nails cost about
twice as much than top-of-the line nail gun manufacturers - no idea why.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've got one and and for the price, takes care of what i need to do. if
i was still framing house's for a living i'd look at a spendier nailer.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Oct, 13:53, "** Frank **" wrote:
"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

Ok for occasional work. Like someone said it will jam two clips in. There
will be some misfires with two nails instead one. Also the nails cost about
twice as much than top-of-the line nail gun manufacturers - no idea why.

-- Also the nails cost about twice as much than top-of-the line nail
gun manufacturers - no idea why.

Could it be because they made no money on the nailer since they know
they will make more than enough on the consumables?

Think about all the inkjet printers they give away, then think about
the cost of ink.

Posted to rec.woodworking

** Frank ** wrote:

Ok for occasional work. Like someone said it will jam two clips in.

There
will be some misfires with two nails instead one. Also the nails cost about
twice as much than top-of-the line nail gun manufacturers - no idea why.

From looking at the downloadable manual it appears the nailer uses
standard 21 degree round head plastic collated stick nails?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
** Frank ** wrote:

Ok for occasional work. Like someone said it will jam two clips in.

There
will be some misfires with two nails instead one. Also the nails cost
about twice as much than top-of-the line nail gun manufacturers - no idea
why.

From looking at the downloadable manual it appears the nailer uses
standard 21 degree round head plastic collated stick nails?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Suppose to be standard and they have a gun that adjust to various standard
angles. I already purchased a few boxes from HF and have more into the nails
than the gun. Wish they have a combo pack with various nail lengths rather
buying 2,000 or 4,000 nails at a time for small projects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

From looking at the downloadable manual it appears the nailer uses
standard 21 degree round head plastic collated stick nails?

Yeah - I just bought a box of 5000 at the orange borg when I borrowed
my friend's nailer. He had just finished off the 1000 that came with
the nailer. I paid about $40 for the box, IIRC? Didn't use very
many, and he bought the rest back from me.
Anyway, my point was that the nails don't have to be more expensive
than any of the rest - I didn't even look at HF for nails.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the adjustable version and have, put about a box and a half of 3"
and two and a half boxes of 2" ( about 8000 nails ) thru it and have had
no problems wit it, no misfires or double nails, it is a little heavy
when compared to a Bostich how ever not in use every day it seems just
fine for the once or twice a year project that I need it for ( hope that
I haven't jinxed myself now )

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might consider buying the extended warranty, just in case.
HF tools are sometimes good, sometimes junk. If it lasts beyond the initial
warranty and then decides to go south on you, the extended warranty will
gurantee you a replacement. Worked for me on a hardwood flooring nailer.

Kate

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

=====Thanks for the inputs. No local store, but guess I could always ship
it back if proves a dud.

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
10 GAUGE, 21 DEGREE ANGLE FRAMING NAILER

I have some small framing jobs to do occasionally and thought the price is
very good on this nailer. Any comments? TIA,

Leif

As others have said, it works well for the weekend warrior. My
father-in-law and I framed up a shed over a couple of weekends using
his. It worked fine. My only complaint was that it would not shoot
the last two nails out of every strip. If you can live with that,
it's certainly cheap. I have an old Hitachi NR83A that I bought used
for $100 and they perform similarly; however the Hitachi is built like
a brick outhouse and you can buy any replacement part for it and it
continues to be supported.

--
Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 04:48:10 -0000, Andy wrote:

From looking at the downloadable manual it appears the nailer uses
standard 21 degree round head plastic collated stick nails?

Yeah - I just bought a box of 5000 at the orange borg when I borrowed
my friend's nailer. He had just finished off the 1000 that came with
the nailer. I paid about $40 for the box, IIRC? Didn't use very
many, and he bought the rest back from me.
Anyway, my point was that the nails don't have to be more expensive
than any of the rest - I didn't even look at HF for nails.
Andy

Good to know. Thanks for the info; the nails from my Hitachi NR83A
might fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 04:48:10 -0000, Andy wrote:

From looking at the downloadable manual it appears the nailer uses
standard 21 degree round head plastic collated stick nails?

Yeah - I just bought a box of 5000 at the orange borg when I borrowed
my friend's nailer. He had just finished off the 1000 that came with
the nailer. I paid about $40 for the box, IIRC? Didn't use very
many, and he bought the rest back from me.
Anyway, my point was that the nails don't have to be more expensive
than any of the rest - I didn't even look at HF for nails.
Andy

Good to know. Thanks for the info; the nails from my Hitachi NR83A
might fit.

As well pointed out, absolutely no need to buy HF fodder - but there are
other caveats:

1. ClippedRound head - Framing nails come in 2 major distinctions - full
(round)head, & clipped head. Maybe you saw discussions on that issue
elsewhere.
If not, Google may help - main point is you can't mix varieties.
Gotta use
clipped heads in machines designed to handle them, & round heads in
machines designed for them.
HF has one model that is supposedly "adaptable" & can use either - no
direct
experience, but I'd strongly suspect that design will jam a lot more
easily....
I would not personally recommend it.

2. Nobody seems to sell framing nails in quantities for hobbyists -
everything
seems to be packed for pro (bulk) users.... Just have to deal with
the quantities.
One guy suggested to contact tool rental places to see if you can buy
smaller
batches - didn't try it.

So far, most of my "good buys" have been from eBay and Amazon sellers -
BUT
you DO have to watch & know what you need!

BR,
NGA

First Nailer? FMB Woodworking 27 December 7th 04 06:44 AM
Brad Nailer vs Finish Nailer Josh Woodworking 5 October 8th 04 04:17 AM
Is a finish nailer a superset of a brad nailer? jtpr Woodworking 4 September 27th 04 11:15 PM
Finish nailer/Brad nailer jasonmahoney Woodworking 10 April 30th 04 04:22 AM
Is 16 Gauge Brad Nailer Actually a Finish Nailer? Jay Chan Woodworking 3 December 28th 03 04:18 AM