Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Osage Orange

I am wanting to build a small box from Osage orange. I understand it changes
color much like cherry when exposed to sunlight. Is there someone out there
that has a proven way to keep the bright yellow color from turning brown?

Thanks, rog

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
. net...
I am wanting to build a small box from Osage orange. I understand it
changes color much like cherry when exposed to sunlight. Is there someone
out there that has a proven way to keep the bright yellow color from
turning brown?

Thanks, rog

Keep it out of sun light.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 8, 9:40 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Roger Jensen" wrote in message

. net...

I am wanting to build a small box from Osage orange. I understand it
changes color much like cherry when exposed to sunlight. Is there someone
out there that has a proven way to keep the bright yellow color from
turning brown?

Thanks, rog

Keep it out of sun light.

Just what Leon stated. The change of color is oxidation of the wood
and pitch. I have a lot of osage orange growing on my property and
have a few folks that like to cut it to make turned bowls and other
items out of. They use tung oil on most all of what they make and keep
items out of direct sunlight...........I hate it as a growing tree if
thats what you want to call it, as its a pain to work around and is
great to get flat tires off since the one species has tons of thorns.
It does make fine fenceposts which will never rot out. I have some on
my proptery that was used to make pasture fences with in the mid to
late 40's and its still so tough you can not break it off, and
absolutely no rot. Also good for firewood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also known as Bois D'arc. Indians used the wood for making bows and the
"fruit" known as horse apples is supposedly known to repel roaches.
There are quite a few on my grandmaws farm. But it is true that it is a
pain in the butt tree.

Orange Peel Dan Major Woodworking 4 September 2nd 05 12:33 PM
UT Orange LEDs Chris Fonville Electronics 7 March 26th 05 08:31 PM
FS osage orange burl Rich Coers Woodturning 5 October 24th 04 07:04 AM
50 bf of osage orange todd the wood junkie Woodworking 10 September 1st 04 06:14 PM
Osage Orange or Yellowheart Gary Greenberg Woodworking 6 April 7th 04 08:54 PM