Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What kind of wood?

What have I got here?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Islandtop.jpg

Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech.
Could be birch?

Opinions please?

Thankee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 4, 8:06 pm, Robatoy wrote:
What have I got here?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Islandtop.jpg

Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech.
Could be birch?

Opinions please?

Beech. The center strip is quarter-sawn, showing off some
lovely ray flecks. Make yourself some planes or shaves if it's
heavy enough and all dead-on plane or quarter sawn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message

Beech. The center strip is quarter-sawn, showing off some
lovely ray flecks. Make yourself some planes or shaves if it's
heavy enough and all dead-on plane or quarter sawn.

Based on my limited experience with beech, my guess is that you may not be
far off ... although the majority looks "rift" rather than "plain" sawn.

I could well be wrong on all counts, due to this new monitor ... plus being
color blind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Ferd Farkel wrote:
On Oct 4, 8:06 pm, Robatoy wrote:
What have I got here?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Islandtop.jpg

Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech.
Could be birch?

Opinions please?

Beech. The center strip is quarter-sawn, showing off some
lovely ray flecks.

Concur. I've had several beautiful pieces of QS beech sitting in the stacks
for about five years now. I'm waiting for them to tell me what they want me to
make them into.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

No doubt about it. It is without a doubt wood derived from a tree. lol
Feel free to send me all you have as I will find some use for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
What have I got here?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Islandtop.jpg

Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech.
Could be birch?

Opinions please?

Fact - beech.

Old floor? Beech went out of favor quite a while ago. Doesn't behave well
in changing humidity. Europeans like theirs, but ours isn't quite as
uniform in color or pleasant of disposition.

I'm centered up in a mess of hardwood, and the local flooring mills don't
even put beech on their list, though it's abundant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 5:14 am, "George" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ups.com...

What have I got here?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Islandtop.jpg

Middle piece looks maple-ish, the others a bit like beech.
Could be birch?

Opinions please?

Fact - beech.

Old floor? Beech went out of favor quite a while ago. Doesn't behave well
in changing humidity.

It's a butcherblock countertop. 1-1/2" thick. The house is from 1832
and the current owners are trying to restore as much as possible and
had me replace all the counters with Quartz. The island needs a lot of
repairs, but the option is mine to also replace it with quartz. If
beech doesn't behave well in moisture changing conditions, then that
explains why the island is the mess it is in. The house is right on
the St.Clair River (outflow from Lake Huron) so we know a thing or two
about changing humidity. Nothing like my southern neighbours, I'm
sure :-)

Tip-O-Hat to all that responded, 'tis been a lot of help.