Peter Ashby

Default Groovy Question

My house has a few half round corner shelves, in pine. The shelves
appear to be from two to three edge joined boards and are quarter sawn.
On the underneath is a shallow groove running from 1/2 way down one
straight edge across to the same place on the other straight edge. Now
it occurs to me that this might be to prevent cupping, except that
grooves to prevent cupping usually run with the grain. Is my surmise
correct, and if so why across the grain, and why in quarter sawn? Just
curious.

Peter
Charlie Self

Peter Ashby asks:

My house has a few half round corner shelves, in pine. The shelves
appear to be from two to three edge joined boards and are quarter sawn.
On the underneath is a shallow groove running from 1/2 way down one
straight edge across to the same place on the other straight edge. Now
it occurs to me that this might be to prevent cupping, except that
grooves to prevent cupping usually run with the grain. Is my surmise
correct, and if so why across the grain, and why in quarter sawn? Just
curious.

Plate grooves. So you can stand display dishes on edge without special holders.
Check the insides of most fancy corner cabinets, similar straight cabinets.
Same thing.

Charlie Self

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf."
Will Rogers

Peter Ashby

Charlie Self wrote:

Peter Ashby asks:

My house has a few half round corner shelves, in pine. The shelves appear
to be from two to three edge joined boards and are quarter sawn. On the
underneath is a shallow groove running from 1/2 way down one straight
edge across to the same place on the other straight edge. Now it occurs
to me that this might be to prevent cupping, except that grooves to
prevent cupping usually run with the grain. Is my surmise correct, and if
so why across the grain, and why in quarter sawn? Just curious.

Plate grooves. So you can stand display dishes on edge without special
holders. Check the insides of most fancy corner cabinets, similar straight
cabinets. Same thing.

Yes, that makes sense, turn it over and you have a plate groove.
Thankyou, I hate not knowing these things.

Peter
Tom

Yes, that makes sense, turn it over and you have a plate groove.
Thankyou, I hate not knowing these things.

Peter

I hate not knowing that I didn't know! Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM