Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bits

I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

Thanx

Peter
Australia

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Raven" wrote in message
I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i

arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

You should be able to buy a 3/8" collet for the router. See if the following
will fit your router:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...e=googl ebase

Watch the wrap.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Raven" wrote in message
I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

Thanx

Peter
Australia

I have never seen an adapter/collet that will make a 1/4" router accept a
larger sized bit. There are numerous collets/adapters that will enable you
to use smaller shank sizes in larger routers however.

It may be time to purchase a 1/2" collet router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Raven" wrote in message
I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i

arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

You should be able to buy a 3/8" collet for the router. See if the
following
will fit your router:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...e=googl ebase

Watch the wrap.

I could be wrong but that collet looks like it adjusts from 1/2" down to a
3/8" bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...e=googl ebase

I could be wrong but that collet looks like it adjusts from 1/2" down to a
3/8" bit.

It is indeed cheap for a "3/8 collet", which is what it unequivocally states
that it is. Nonetheless, he should still be able to find what he needs on
that site.

Here's the "Makita Collet" page:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/makitaa-collets-s/1551.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Product...e=googl ebase

I could be wrong but that collet looks like it adjusts from 1/2" down to
3/8" bit.

It is indeed cheap for a "3/8 collet", which is what it unequivocally
states
that it is. Nonetheless, he should still be able to find what he needs on
that site.

Here's the "Makita Collet" page:

http://www.acetoolonline.com/makitaa-collets-s/1551.htm

What I am referring to is that he has a 1/4" collet now, is there a collet
that will adapt up in size? Normally I have only seen adapters and or
collets that go down in size from a larger size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 5:23 am, "Raven" wrote:
I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

Thanx

Peter
Australia

What you have here is a perfect opportunity to get another tool. If
you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and
buying another router that will handle bigger bits. Sure, there will
be people who are like, "That's silly, why do you need two routers?"
C'mon, can you really have too many? Besides, you can always mount
one in a router table and keep another one out for normal routing. It
totally think you need to jump on this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

What I am referring to is that he has a 1/4" collet now, is there a collet
that will adapt up in size?

Not that I'm aware of ... you only get those collets if you've been a well
mannered, upstanding wooddorker in life., then you die, go to wooddorker
heaven, and you're issued a router for every bit.

(Ask JOAT for more info on the latter ... he's closer to the woodworking
gods, and MUCH more 'well mannered' than me.)

That said, let's clear the decks and start over:

What the OP obviously needs to be able to use his new 3/8" shank router bits
is either:

1. A new 3/8" Makita collet,.

or

2. A new 1/2" Makita collet , plus a 3/8" sleeve/adapter to use with it.

I was really trying to make it easy ... really, I was. g

It is apparent that the cheap ass webmaster uses the same picture of a 1/4"
Makita collet for every size Makita collet he sells ( and apparently,
judging by the part #'s, the exact same picture for some of the collet
adapters he sells as well).

If I was going to order from these guys, I would probably use the part # as
a guide, and not the picture.

... a fact of which I was hoping the OP was smart enough to figure out for
himself.

Hey Peter ... hope you're reading this. We're (trying) looking out for you
down there in Oz!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

What I am referring to is that he has a 1/4" collet now, is there a
collet that will adapt up in size?

Not that I'm aware of ... you only get those collets if you've been a well
mannered, upstanding wooddorker in life., then you die, go to wooddorker
heaven, and you're issued a router for every bit.

Almost getting ready to ROTFLMAO and firing the tennis ball back to your
side. The OP indicated that he has a 1/4 router. IIRC 1/4" routers will
not accomidate larger bits as the bit has to fit into a 1/4" opening in the
shaft. I assume that he meant 1/4" rather than 1/4 hp or 1/4 of a router.
;~)

I could be way off here but I don't think so.

That said, let's clear the decks and start over:

What the OP obviously needs to be able to use his new 3/8" shank router
bits is either:

1. A new 3/8" Makita collet,.

Yes but I think he has a 1/4" capacity router and the larger collet/adapter
will probably not fit.
Basically you can fit 1/4" or 3/8" adapter/collet into a 1/2" hole but not
a 3/8" or 1/2" adapter into a 1/4" hole.

or

2. A new 1/2" Makita collet , plus a 3/8" sleeve/adapter to use with it.

See above. LOL

I was really trying to make it easy ... really, I was. g

Yeah me too. ;~)

It is apparent that the cheap ass webmaster uses the same picture of a
1/4" Makita collet for every size Makita collet he sells ( and apparently,
judging by the part #'s, the exact same picture for some of the collet
adapters he sells as well).

Agreed but I don't think any of those collets bottoms will fit inside a 1/4"
router shaft.

If I was going to order from these guys, I would probably use the part #
as a guide, and not the picture.

Yes.

... a fact of which I was hoping the OP was smart enough to figure out
for himself.

Uh-huh .

Hey Peter ... hope you're reading this. We're (trying) looking out for you
down there in Oz!

Crap, they are probably left hand threaded too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jkroschel" wrote in message
ups.com...

What you have here is a perfect opportunity to get another tool. If
you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and
buying another router that will handle bigger bits. Sure, there will
be people who are like, "That's silly, why do you need two routers?"
C'mon, can you really have too many? Besides, you can always mount
one in a router table and keep another one out for normal routing. It
totally think you need to jump on this.

Until you have enough routers that 1 never gets used, you don't have too
many. For me the number is 4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

side. The OP indicated that he has a 1/4 router. IIRC 1/4" routers will
not accomidate larger bits as the bit has to fit into a 1/4" opening in
the shaft. I assume that he meant 1/4" rather than 1/4 hp or 1/4 of a
router. ;~)

I took it to mean that he had a 1/4" collet on his router ... go figure.

I also went and figured that Makita was like Porter Cable and that you could
buy different size collets for their routers (they sure sell 'em).

Being Porter Cable router poor (like you I have half a dozen), I've never
used a Makita router, sooo00:

Do you mean I could actually be wrong??!!

(For gawds sake, on that rare happenstance, PLEASE don't let the Canasta
Queen know!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

side. The OP indicated that he has a 1/4 router. IIRC 1/4" routers will
not accomidate larger bits as the bit has to fit into a 1/4" opening in
the shaft. I assume that he meant 1/4" rather than 1/4 hp or 1/4 of a
router. ;~)

I took it to mean that he had a 1/4" collet on his router ... go figure.

I am sure he does have a 1/4" collet but if you recall in the early years,
and taking your Bosch Colt in to mind, 1/4" was about all you could get your
hands on. During my early years I had more than a few Craftsman routers
and the armature/shaft held the 1/4" bit. A collet nut squezed the end of
the shaft tight/simi tight against the bit. I suspect that some routers are
still built to only accept a 1/4" bit.

I also went and figured that Makita was like Porter Cable and that you
could buy different size collets for their routers (they sure sell 'em).

I am sure you can if the router has a 1/2" capacity to start with.

Being Porter Cable router poor (like you I have half a dozen), I've never
used a Makita router, sooo00:

Nor I, so I may have egg all over my face. ;~)

Do you mean I could actually be wrong??!!

Not wrong! Perhaps only 99.9% correct.

(For gawds sake, on that rare happenstance, PLEASE don't let the Canasta
Queen know!)

I think it would be a wasted breath to try and explain to either. ;~)

Whew!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Nor I, so I may have egg all over my face. ;~)

Do you mean I could actually be wrong??!!

Not wrong! Perhaps only 99.9% correct.

Aussies should just be waking up about now ... hopefully we'll know soon.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Raven wrote:
I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i arrived
home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita
router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

Thanx

Peter
Australia

I Googled and came up empty for router bit adapters that will do what
you are asking, but what you will need is something along the lines of a
router bit extension that has a 1/4" shank but a 3/8" collet. I doubt if
you will find one because you are asking for, nay, demanding, serious
grief if the 1/4" shank were to let go under use.

You didn't mention what model router you have, but it looks like trying
for a larger collet is your best bet, followed by opening up the wallet
for a beefier router.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1375421 20070925 192930 "Leon" wrote:
"jkroschel" wrote in message
oups.com...

What you have here is a perfect opportunity to get another tool. If
you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and
buying another router that will handle bigger bits. Sure, there will
be people who are like, "That's silly, why do you need two routers?"
C'mon, can you really have too many? Besides, you can always mount
one in a router table and keep another one out for normal routing. It
totally think you need to jump on this.

Until you have enough routers that 1 never gets used, you don't have too
many. For me the number is 4.

ditto!

FS new & used router bits [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 31st 07 09:15 PM
Router Bits bthiede Woodworking 20 August 26th 06 02:46 PM
Router Bits flash UK diy 4 December 24th 05 07:07 PM
spiral router bits and router technique Doug Woodworking 6 January 29th 05 03:15 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM