Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rewiring GI 50-185 saw back to 110V

So I need to rewire my tablesaw back from 220 to 110, and it was a long time
ago that I switched it. I'm just looking for some confirmation.

There's 4 wires that are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The inside cover shows
that 1 and 3 go together, and 2 and 4. I can handle that... It's the wires
coming in from the switch that I don't know what to do with. The green is
ground, and that's cool. But nothing shows what to do with the black and
white wires.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that I connect the white wire to one of the
two 1/3 or 2/4 bundles, and the black to the other one. But does it matter
which one goes to which? Or am I totally off on this? I've got pictures,
if that would help.

Since I'm rewiring it so I can demo and sell it, it would be nice if it
didn't erupt in a ball of flames...

Clint

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most 120/240 motors I have seen are set to 240v by connecting #1 to the
black wire, #2 to #3, and #4 to the white wire (though the black and white
are interchangable.) To set them to 120v you connect #3 to #1 and the
black, and #2 to #4 and the white.
The idea is that 1-2 is a loop and 3-4 is a loop. In 120v they are in
parallel, and in 240v they are in series.
Your inside cover SEEMS to be in agreement with that, though I haven't seen
it; but I can say with confidence that it doesn't distinquish between black
and white.

There ARE exceptions to this scheme. My TS motor has eight wires and nearly
all of them get rearranged when changing voltages; but it still doesn't care
about white/black.

"Clint" wrote in message
So I need to rewire my tablesaw back from 220 to 110, and it was a long
time ago that I switched it. I'm just looking for some confirmation.

There's 4 wires that are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The inside cover shows
that 1 and 3 go together, and 2 and 4. I can handle that... It's the
wires coming in from the switch that I don't know what to do with. The
green is ground, and that's cool. But nothing shows what to do with the
black and white wires.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that I connect the white wire to one of
the two 1/3 or 2/4 bundles, and the black to the other one. But does it
matter which one goes to which? Or am I totally off on this? I've got
pictures, if that would help.

Since I'm rewiring it so I can demo and sell it, it would be nice if it
didn't erupt in a ball of flames...

Clint

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:06:10 GMT, "Clint"

There's 4 wires that are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The inside cover shows
that 1 and 3 go together, and 2 and 4. I can handle that... It's the wires
coming in from the switch that I don't know what to do with. The green is
ground, and that's cool. But nothing shows what to do with the black and
white wires.

If the wiring diagram shows a 1/3 and a 2/4 connection for 110v
operation, it should also show the 1/3 pair connected either to L1 or
L2, and the 2/4 pair connected to the other.

L1 and L2 are the wires from the switch and it doesn't matter which
is the black (hot) and which is the white (neutral) wires. IOW, the
black wire can be connected to either the 1/3 or the 2/4 pair, and the
white wire can be connected to the other pair.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks all... Got it together (worked fine), sold it this afternoon...

Clint

"Clint" wrote in message
So I need to rewire my tablesaw back from 220 to 110, and it was a long
time ago that I switched it. I'm just looking for some confirmation.

There's 4 wires that are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The inside cover shows
that 1 and 3 go together, and 2 and 4. I can handle that... It's the
wires coming in from the switch that I don't know what to do with. The
green is ground, and that's cool. But nothing shows what to do with the
black and white wires.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that I connect the white wire to one of
the two 1/3 or 2/4 bundles, and the black to the other one. But does it
matter which one goes to which? Or am I totally off on this? I've got
pictures, if that would help.

Since I'm rewiring it so I can demo and sell it, it would be nice if it
didn't erupt in a ball of flames...

Clint

When is rewiring necessary? Geoff Berrow UK diy 30 August 1st 07 05:08 PM
Rewiring john walker UK diy 8 January 28th 07 07:51 PM
A countertop oven (Jetstream) 110V 60Hz versus 110V 50Hz - problems? [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 12th 06 03:18 AM
Rewiring an old Dewalt RAS from 220-110v - How?? mash Woodworking 1 May 24th 06 05:20 AM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM