Posted to rec.woodworking
mash

Default Rewiring an old Dewalt RAS from 220-110v - How??

Hi recently picked up an Dewalt RAS. It is wired for 220 but,
unfortunatley, my shop only has 110. I tried to rewire it myself but it
looks as if the motor has been rewound and none of the colors match the
diagram on top of the motor. I don't know the age of the saw but I
think it is a 70's model. It has a 20" cut and is in good shape. Can
anyone help???

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"mash" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi recently picked up an Dewalt RAS. It is wired for 220 but,
unfortunatley, my shop only has 110. I tried to rewire it myself but it
looks as if the motor has been rewound and none of the colors match the
diagram on top of the motor. I don't know the age of the saw but I
think it is a 70's model. It has a 20" cut and is in good shape. Can
anyone help???

"In general" the motor has 4 wires. When set to 240v one wire goes to each
of the hots and the other two are joined. To change to 120v you separate
the two joined wires and attach one to the hot and the other to the neutral.
Essentially you are changing a series circuit to two parallel circuits.
If you connect the wrong wires, nothing will happen (as you will be
connecting both ends of the the circuit together and will no connection
between the hot and neutral), so that is not a concern. Do not lose the
wires connected to the hot and neutral; if you do that you could get one
reversed and I have no idea what would happen if you did that.

My table saw motor has six wires and changing from 240v to 120v is very
confusing. If you have more than 4 wires, I wish you luck; though
contacting the manufacture (assuming the motor has a name plate) is probably
easy enough.