Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bench

Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

ed_h wrote:

Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Very nice combination of woodworking and metalcraft. Really like the tail
vise, both the padauk and the vise mechanics.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

ed_h wrote:

Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Very nice combination of woodworking and metalcraft. Really like the
tail
vise, both the padauk and the vise mechanics.

I agree with the above remarks.

I also like the nice LONG handle on the tail vise. I can remember lots of
time needing a little more leverage while trying to tighten a vise on
something without flat sides.

I like your bench dogs too. I built my dogs out of some big bolts I found at
the scrap yard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ed_h wrote:
Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Great job!

What makes burr oak different from the standard red and white species
that most of us normally work with?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 5:56 am, B A R R Y wrote:
ed_h wrote:
Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Great job!

What makes burr oak different from the standard red and white species
that most of us normally work with?

Burr oak is a type of white oak, and is probably sold commercially
under the name white oak . I find it a little darker than the typical
commercial white oak. We happen to have a lot of it growing around
here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ed_h wrote:

Burr oak is a type of white oak, and is probably sold commercially
under the name white oak . I find it a little darker than the typical
commercial white oak. We happen to have a lot of it growing around
here.

Thanks!

Is "here", the NE USA, SE USA, Eastern Canada, Europe?

I'd never heard of it, so you grabbed my interest. I see how the photos
look a tad darker than most white oak, it's very pretty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 8:22 am, B A R R Y wrote:
ed_h wrote:

Burr oak is a type of white oak, and is probably sold commercially
under the name white oak . I find it a little darker than the typical
commercial white oak. We happen to have a lot of it growing around
here.

Thanks!

Is "here", the NE USA, SE USA, Eastern Canada, Europe?

I'd never heard of it, so you grabbed my interest. I see how the photos
look a tad darker than most white oak, it's very pretty.

"Here" is Missouri river valley in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa, but
I think Burr Oak is pretty common up into Minnesota and maybe down to
Texas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ed_h wrote:

"Here" is Missouri river valley in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa, but
I think Burr Oak is pretty common up into Minnesota and maybe down to
Texas.

Thanks! Again, very nice bench!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice bench.. Must feel extra god when you use wood from your own
property. I just retired from the Navy and I can't wait to get my own place
that is PERMANENT so I can do the same. Again Really nice job. Gloat away,
you've earned it.

--
Rich Harris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Please ship to me for closer inspection. Will return when done via e-mail
:O
"ed_h" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

The bench is fantastic, only how are you going to bring yourself to work on
it.

Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
"Lee" wrote in message
. net...
Please ship to me for closer inspection. Will return when done via e-mail
:O
"ed_h" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some pics of a woodworker's bench just finished:

http://thehollingsworths.net/WP_Bench.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

the burr oak is common here in minnesota. compared to white oak but not
as strait grained therefore not as prone to split as white or red oak.
if you look at the growth rings on the end of the log the burr oak rings
will be wavey and white oak will be more symetric. very hard tough wood,
i just supplied some to a friend for the same purpose of making a work
bench.
good choice.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 8:32 am, "asmurff" wrote:
The bench is fantastic, only how are you going to bring yourself to work on
it.

Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying"Lee" wrote in message

I guess I'm waiting for the first inadvertent ding. It will then be
properly christened, and fit for duty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:03:16 -0700, ed_h wrote:

I guess I'm waiting for the first inadvertent ding. It will then be
properly christened, and fit for duty.

Kinda' like that first scratch or ding on a pickup. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Wood prepped for second half of bench top - Bitsa Bench Mike Richardson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 24th 07 05:22 AM
BENCH J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:18 AM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM
Bench top Paul O. Woodworking 5 June 11th 04 08:18 PM
Bench Dog Or Bench Hold Down Clamp? Tim Hurd Woodworking 8 May 14th 04 12:15 AM