Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another veneer question

I've decided to make an attempt at Veneering 101 and see how I go.
Couple of questions for those who have been through this befo
Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?) box-type
thing. And .06mm veneer.

I know that differential movement between the veneer and the backer
can cause problems. Can MDF or 10mm ply be used as the backer,
realizing that it's going to be completely covered by the veneer and/
or the lining material?

From a procedural standpoint am I better off veneering the components

of the box before or after assembly? In other words do I cut, say,
the plywood side panels slightly larger than necessary, veneer them,
then cut the veneered panel down to exact requirements OR should I
assemble/glue up the ply carcass, and THEN apply the veneer? (I
expect I'll be using mitred joints for the box.)

Many thanx,

FoggyTown

Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:

| Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?)
| box-type thing. And .06mm veneer.

That's some thin veneer! Is it transparent?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
I've decided to make an attempt at Veneering 101 and see how I go.
Couple of questions for those who have been through this befo
Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?)
box-type thing. And .06mm veneer.

I know that differential movement between the veneer and the backer
can cause problems. Can MDF or 10mm ply be used as the backer,
realizing that it's going to be completely covered by the veneer
and/ or the lining material?

Yes
______________

From a procedural standpoint am I better off veneering the
components

of the box before or after assembly? In other words do I cut, say,
the plywood side panels slightly larger than necessary, veneer them,
then cut the veneered panel down to exact requirements OR should I
assemble/glue up the ply carcass, and THEN apply the veneer? (I
expect I'll be using mitred joints for the box.)

I'd veneer, cut, assemble.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 15, 4:01?pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
FoggyTown wrote:

| Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?)
| box-type thing. And .06mm veneer.

That's some thin veneer! Is it transparent?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Ummmmmm . . . maybe that should be 0.6mm

veneer question Doug Woodworking 3 January 3rd 07 08:40 PM
Using my veneer trim or chamfer bits to make a veneer arris bent Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 04:00 AM
Gluing veneer question wayne mak Woodworking 7 December 9th 05 04:29 AM
Veneer question Tim Douglass Woodworking 5 October 21st 05 05:30 PM
Balancing veneer question Leuf Woodworking 3 April 24th 05 04:15 AM