Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default RAS dust chute

Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I
can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:15:27 -0700, cc wrote:

Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I
can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

I meant to save a link for a chute. Someone posted a link where they
made a chute with a curved back that seemed to work well. I just got 4
pieces of 3/8" plywood. I made the sides about 14-16" tall. I put a
top on it and punched a hole in the back. It keeps the dust under
control with a bonus hose attached to the dust port on the blade
guard.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/i...mode=nooptions

http://facweb.furman.edu/~rbryson/dr...ustSucker.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"cc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I
can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

I don't know about the "outstanding" but here's some pics of mine.
The top and sides are 1/2 Birch ply; the bottom and back is 20 gauge sheet
metal.

http://tinyurl.com/2ceydk

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

"cc" wrote in message
roups.com...
Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I
can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

I don't know about the "outstanding" but here's some pics of mine.
The top and sides are 1/2 Birch ply; the bottom and back is 20 gauge sheet
metal.

http://tinyurl.com/2ceydk

Nice looking dust chute. Your design points out an important design
tradeoff that anyone building such a chute needs to consider. From the
[lack of] kerf marks on your table, it looks like you use your RAS
strictly as a cutoff saw, with no miters of bevels (or rips for that
matter, but that is not relevant to design of a dust chute. So yours
extends fairly far forward, effectively shrouding the blade during the
beginning of the cut. But if you were to do a bevel cut, it would be
poorly aligned to pick up any dust (if I am understanding your design
correctly).

The other approach is represented by the store-bought dust pickup I
have and not real happy with. It is flared to pick up dust from a
larger area, and the mouth of it sits even with the column. It picks
up a lot, but a lot is missed, too. Its advantage is that it can be
swiveled about the column, keeping it aligned with the blade during
bevel cuts.

One improvement I have seen on a guard for strictly cutoff work (and I
think this was in Charlesworth's Furniture Making Techniques book,
although I can't put my hands on it right now) is a telescoping dust
chute, with a shroud around the blade that slides into a chute like
the one you have built, keeping dust collection as close to the cut as
possible, even as the blade is moved through the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DLB DLB is offline

On Sep 12, 11:15 pm, cc wrote:
Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I
can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

Here are a couple of ideas:

http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop/rasdc.html

http://www.studio1304.com/silca/cyclone/ductwork.htm (most of the
way down the page)

I did something a little different. I will try to post pictures this
weekend.

Dave

Rubbish chute Andy R UK diy 2 January 16th 07 01:02 PM
Laundry chute Suz UK diy 29 December 11th 06 09:16 PM
wanted: Ryobi AP1300 dust chute [email protected] Woodworking 1 October 26th 06 03:24 PM
Debris Chute MB Home Repair 7 December 27th 05 06:08 PM
building a laundry chute [email protected] Woodworking 23 June 21st 05 03:21 AM