Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd tool ID

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

leeana wrote:
Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it
looks like a plumb bob.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

leeana wrote:

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it
looks like a plumb bob.

Almost all plumb bobs have a threaded part at the top that the
cap the string goes through threads onto. The thing that
makes me feel like this is something else is that the threads
at the top of this one are left handed threads.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

leeana wrote:

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it
looks like a plumb bob.

Almost all plumb bobs have a threaded part at the top that the
cap the string goes through threads onto. The thing that
makes me feel like this is something else is that the threads
at the top of this one are left handed threads.

It's 3 1/2" + in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a plumb bob
that big. It must weight several pounds.

Any markings on it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

leeana wrote:

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it
looks like a plumb bob.

Almost all plumb bobs have a threaded part at the top that the
cap the string goes through threads onto. The thing that
makes me feel like this is something else is that the threads
at the top of this one are left handed threads.

It's 3 1/2" + in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a plumb bob
that big. It must weight several pounds.

Any markings on it?

We had a 10 pound plumb bob that we used in wind areas of a
chemical plant that I worked on about 30 years ago. It looked
similar to, but different than the one in the photos. We used
it to plumb for long drops, often 100' or more. Lasers have
pretty much reduced the need for those.

We also had a plumb bob that was totally enclosed in pipe. It
had a telescoping sleeve so that the string was always
protected from wind by the sleeve. (No relation, just
remembering some old tools.)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 10, 9:03 am, leeana wrote:
Can anyone help me ID this tool?

The thread could be to attach an item that is rotated by this spindle,
the cylinder section could be the bearing, and the cone could be a
drive element
(rotating CCW as seen from the cone point, it tightens the attached
item screw under load).

Or maybe the threaded end is driven, and an abrasive collar (sandpaper
or buffing wheel) is friction-fit to the cone? If there's a rubber
collar
that fits around the cone, the sandpaper idea is quite likely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

leeana wrote:

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/1.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ana14861/3.jpg

Something to drill a well?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Franklin wrote:
It's 3 1/2" + in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a plumb bob
that big. It must weight several pounds.

Might have to call it a plumb Robert...

--
©Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by
fearing to attempt."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:39:58 -0400, Russ
wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:
It's 3 1/2" + in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a plumb bob
that big. It must weight several pounds.

Might have to call it a plumb Robert...

LOL!