Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drying and preping wood

this is my first attempt to finish rough cut wood for interior use.

i was given about a thousand bf of big leaf maple rough cut full
dimension 2 x. it has been stacked in an open shed and now has a
moisture content around 16%. it has been down and covered for several
years and some pieces have a little spald in them. i will need to resaw
most of this. would it be better to resaw now or later and then stack to
dry? same for thickness planing.
any advice will be appreciated.
thanks!

chuck b:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

chuckb wrote:
this is my first attempt to finish rough cut wood for interior use.

i was given about a thousand bf of big leaf maple rough cut full
dimension 2 x. it has been stacked in an open shed and now has a
moisture content around 16%. it has been down and covered for
several years and some pieces have a little spald in them. i will
need to resaw most of this. would it be better to resaw now or
later and then stack to dry? same for thickness planing.
any advice will be appreciated.
thanks!

I really don't know but I'd wait...if you resaw now the pieces will
start curling toward the drier outside. Planing shouldn't be a
problem if you plane more or less equally from each side.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

i was given about a thousand bf of big leaf maple rough cut full
dimension 2 x. it has been stacked in an open shed and now has a
moisture content around 16%. it has been down and covered for several
years and some pieces have a little spald in them. i will need to resaw
most of this. would it be better to resaw now or later and then stack to
dry? same for thickness planing.
any advice will be appreciated.
thanks!

chuck b:-)

Saw now. Restack (and sticker) and maybe clamp down with heavy
weights preferably indoors. The stuff may warp with tensions
released after the resaw. Let the stuff air dry for a few months and
check the moisture every so often. Resaw only what you can easily
store and dry and there are those projects that will want a 2"
thickness. Plane and size as needed when you are doing the project.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

"chuckb" wrote:

i will need to resaw
most of this. would it be better to resaw now or later and then stack

dry? same for thickness planing.

IMHO. leave wood in raw form.

Machine on a project by project basis.

Once machined, get it installed, don't leave it laying around.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"chuckb" wrote:

i will need to resaw
most of this. would it be better to resaw now or later and then stack

dry? same for thickness planing.

IMHO. leave wood in raw form.

Machine on a project by project basis.

Once machined, get it installed, don't leave it laying around.

Lew

i was hoping the resawn wood would dry faster but i think i just need to
be patient!

thanks.
chuck b:-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"chuckb" wrote:

i was hoping the resawn wood would dry faster but i think i just

need to
be patient!

Remember the cartoon of a vulture sitting in a dead tree looking down
at the road below?

The caption below read:,

"Patience my ass, I want to kill something".

Lew

OK here goes all you could ever want to know about wood drying Tom Nie Woodturning 4 April 29th 06 02:18 PM
More on wood drying Peter Hyde Woodturning 7 April 24th 06 10:22 PM
drying wood Lee Woodworking 5 December 18th 05 03:44 AM
painting/preping trim edog Woodworking 9 January 6th 05 10:53 PM
Drying wood Peter Woodturning 1 October 20th 03 01:54 AM