Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building oval casement windows

I need two for an upcoming new home. The custom window company wants $11,000
for two smallish windows. Tempting to tool up and tackle this one myself.
Just the kind of mess I'd get myself in the middle of.

Thoughts?

-Dean
glutton for punishment

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dean H." wrote in message
. ..
I need two for an upcoming new home. The custom window company wants
$11,000 for two smallish windows. Tempting to tool up and tackle this one
myself. Just the kind of mess I'd get myself in the middle of.

Thoughts?

Are there moldings involved?

If so, you will need some kind of molding machine and cutters. Not to
mention a good bandsaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dean H. wrote:
I need two for an upcoming new home. The custom window company wants $11,000
for two smallish windows. Tempting to tool up and tackle this one myself.
Just the kind of mess I'd get myself in the middle of.

Thoughts?

First thought is that surely there is _something_ standard from one of
the major manufacturers that would suit?

Second is, sure you could build a standard casement window assuming you
have a shaper or a router table w/ good router and the other necessary
stuff to make the stock from like a bandsaw would be good for cutting
the oval, etc. You can buy the window sash cutter sets for a couple
hundred dollars or thereabouts, depending on how high quality you want
to go.

As for the complexity, depends on just how elaborate you're talking and
what your experience level/skill is. Then you have to consider the
glazing -- for a new home you really don't want to use simply a single
pane these days, in all likelihood, so you'll be back to having the
double-pane made and that's probably not going to be cheap.

I don't recall the title, but Taunton Press published a book on window
and door construction not terribly long ago. I don't have it but the
flyer made it look pretty good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dean H. wrote:
| I need two for an upcoming new home. The custom window company
| wants $11,000 for two smallish windows. Tempting to tool up and
| tackle this one myself. Just the kind of mess I'd get myself in the
| middle of.
|
| Thoughts?

From the hip: I have a CNC router that can precision machine
oval/elliptical (inside and/or outside) templates that you can use
with either a freehand router or table-mounted router for obscenely
less than that. Contact me directly if I can be of help...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
Dean H. wrote:
| I need two for an upcoming new home. The custom window company
| wants $11,000 for two smallish windows. Tempting to tool up and
| tackle this one myself. Just the kind of mess I'd get myself in the
| middle of.
|
| Thoughts?

From the hip: I have a CNC router that can precision machine
oval/elliptical (inside and/or outside) templates that you can use
with either a freehand router or table-mounted router for obscenely
less than that. Contact me directly if I can be of help...

Kewl idea, Morris. That would ease the burden significantly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dean H. wrote:

Thoughts?

Interesting stuff he

http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Carpentry-Joinery-George-Collings/dp/0941936481/ref=sr_1_1/103-2750960-1523824?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189014726&sr=8-1

Combine some of the techniques with Morris' CNC, and you might be a
hero. G