Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Glue

Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:55:51 -0500, Cooniedog
wrote:

Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

What are you making? Metal fasteners may be better than glue for some
applications.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 30, 8:55 am, Cooniedog wrote:
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

Because of the initial high moisture content, and the cycling of
stresses,
I'll suggest that the very best adhesive might succeed only in tearing
the wood apart, where the glued surface is more tightly bonded than
the surrounding layers of wood.

Wood changes dimension, depending on species and orientation relative
to grain, very much in response to moisture changes. If you can
isolate
it from this, like with paint, shading, internal ventilation,
whatever,
you might have a chance, depending on joint used and grain
orientation.

I'd pass on glue, while maybe trying some experiments on small pieces,
with epoxy, urethane, yellow glues. Pay attention to grain orientation
at
joints- dimension changes are almost entirely in the plane
perpendicular
to the axis.

Depending on the treatment used on the wood, your only choice may be
stainless-steel fasteners. Many fasteners fail rapidly with current
(non-cca)
treatment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Cooniedog" wrote in message
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can give
me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an outdoor
project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but exposed to
the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project will be exposed
to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

Tite bond 2 for most projects, Poly when I need it to be waterproof, E-6000
for multimedia glue ups or non wood glue ups. For treated wood metal
fastners. Do very little with treated wood and don't know a lot about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 30, 7:55 am, Cooniedog wrote:
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

Cooniedog,
Ordinarily, Titebond III is considered an excellent choice for outdoor
use. BUT, water-based glues don't work well with treated lumber
because the wood won't soak up the glue. I'd use a polyurethane glue
such as Gorilla Glue if it's outdoor furniture you're building.
Liquid Nails makes a construction adhesive specifically for treated
lumber. I'd use that if it's for a carpentry type project. But in
either case I'd still use mechanical fasteners too. Stainless steel
screws if you can get them locally (Home Depot carries some about 1.5
inches long). Deck screws if you can't find stainless. Treated wood
EATS uncoated screws. Treated wood usually is soaking wet when you
get it. Some of it will splatter when you hit it with a hammer. Use
it quickly, before it has a chance to warp. Fasten it securely so it
will resist warping as it dries. Allow it to dry in the shade if
possible. When the sun draws moisture from the top of the board so
much faster than the bottom, ugly things happen sometimes.

DonkeyHody
"There's a heap o' difference between doing things right and doing the
right things."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cooniedog wrote:
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground,
but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the
project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Treated pine doesn't glue well and an outdoor piece is going to
require really careful design so that wood movement doesn't tear apart
the joints.

You'll find that the mechanical hardware for building decks is
designed specifically to allow a certain amount of movement.

For joints where the grain on both pieces is going in the same
direction I'd go with an epoxy or resorcinol glue. Where the grain
crosses best bet IMO would be to make the joint with a little
clearance and use a polyurethane caulk instead of a conventional
glue--the caulk's flexible enough that it will give a little when the
wood moves, but the downside is that unless you're really careful with
the joint design the piece is going to seem wobbly all the time, and
the joint will never be as strong as a conventionally glued joint.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

The PT pine must be dry to use Waterproof woodworkers glue. I use
Elmers Exterior glue and it has been working well so far--holding
together outdoors (in e. TN) for over 16 years. Drying PT wood takes
time--I like to dry it in the basement for several months. Despite
clamps, some pieces will split, warp, crack, wane and bow. If you can
find some dry PT wood, all the better. Dry wood glues up and finishes
well. A good finish and a little maintenance will extend the life of
an outdoor project.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

What are you making? Metal fasteners may be better than glue for some
applications.

Planters with routed out framing and legs to hold flat panel inserts for
the sides.

Cooniedog
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

What are you making? Metal fasteners may be better than glue for some
applications.

Planters with routed out framing and legs to hold flat panel inserts for
the sides.

Cooniedog

No adhesive on the panels. Screws for the framing and legs.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message

The PT pine must be dry to use Waterproof woodworkers glue. I use
Elmers Exterior glue and it has been working well so far--holding
together outdoors (in e. TN) for over 16 years. Drying PT wood takes
time--I like to dry it in the basement for several months. Despite
clamps, some pieces will split, warp, crack, wane and bow. If you can
find some dry PT wood, all the better. Dry wood glues up and finishes
well. A good finish and a little maintenance will extend the life of
an outdoor project.

FIY I have been enjoying kiln dried PT lumber for a year or so. Its price
is marginally more expensive than the wet stuff from the same supplier. In
addition to the lumber being straighter and less prone to warp it is also
consistently lighter in weight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

FIY I have been enjoying kiln dried PT lumber for a year or so. Its
price is marginally more expensive than the wet stuff from the same
supplier. In addition to the lumber being straighter and less prone to
warp it is also consistently lighter in weight.

Are there any other sources for the kiln-dried besides Stahlman's?
--
Dave in Houston

Man Dave, you nailed that one right square on the head. Would they be the
only one's? Maybe Montabano and or Bison.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used Gorilla Glue with PT wood last year. I built three decks. I
glued and screwed mitered corners of the handrails, steps and a few
other spots. The decks have survived a Manitoba winter -40 deg and
+ 100 Deg. F this summer along with more rain than I've seen in years.
No failures (yet).

Picture of deck at link below. Click on cabin 4.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/index.html

Cooniedog wrote:
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber that will be above ground, but
exposed to the elements. Because I live in the deep south the project
will be exposed to almost daily rains, extreme heat, and sun.

What do y'all recommend?

Cooniedog

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

After epoxy, it's all down hill.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Man Dave, you nailed that one right square on the head. Would they be
the only one's? Maybe Montabano and or Bison.

As you know, Montalbano won't let you pick your material and so it's
common occurrence to get stuck with more than your fair share of twisted,
warped, and bowed (not to mention BIG ugly knots) material.
And Bison. Let's just say I'd rather have my chest cracked than deal
with Bison (though you know I DO deal with them when I absolutely,
positively HAVE TO match a piece of molding). How many times have you
taken 10 or 15 minutes to purchase at Bison and then wait 30-40-50 minutes
for them to bring you the wrong stuff? But, hey! Their new website is a
big improvement! http://www.bisonbuilding.com/
Hmmm, I'm not sure Detering has treated lumber; composite maybe?
I'm OK with Stahlman's. They actually have No.1 treated (kiln-dried!).
And they let you drive your truck right back there in the sheds and pick
out your boards. You can't beat that.

Which Stahlman's do you buy from? I buy in Stafford, I live about 4 miles
from that store. I actually choose Stahlman's quite often when buying
construction grade material. I prefer to only handle the material one time
rather than pick it and put it on the cart, then load it on the truck, then
unload at the job site.
Stahlman's eliminates the first 2 steps. I generally buy more than needed
and do the picking and choosing at the job site. I return the overages and
they seem to prefer that rather than helping me pick and choose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 30, 5:55 am, Cooniedog wrote:
Being both a novice woodworker and new to this group, I hope you can
give me some advice on the best exterior wood glue. I'm making an
outdoor project of treated pine lumber

Treated lumber is safe from mildew and insects when wet. It isn't
protected
from weather, or from moisture fluctuations, you want to STAIN IT for
any kind of aboveground use.

Most good glues for outdoors are rigid and waterproof. Rigid is bad,
because your wood will stretch/shrink in weather. A lot. The glue
will
crack. Waterproof, oddly, is bad too, because it will block movement
of moisture. On dry days, your glue-wrapped tenon will still be
swollen
when the mortise it is in has shrunk, and the size mismatch causes
wood to split. On wet days, the dry tenon will pull free of its glue
joint
as the mortise wood member swells.

I'd recommend a few dots of hot-melt glue. It's flexible, though
somewhat
weak, and won't wick on the wood to make any effective moisture
barrier.