Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Coffin Plans

I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not have much time left!!
I couldn't resist the previous line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 8:01 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.

-- I do not have much time left!!

I used to know of a website that had coffin plans but the link seems
to be dead.

-- I couldn't resist the previous line.

Me either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 8:01 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not have much time left!!
I couldn't resist the previous line.

Look he http://wayneofthewoods.com/coffin%202.html

Don't ever laugh when a hearse goes by,
Or you may be the next to die.

They wrap you up in a bloody sheet,
And bury you under about six feet.

All goes well for a couple of weeks,
But then your coffin begins to leak.

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The worms play pinochle on your snout.

Your stomach turns a slimy green,
And puss comes out of you like whipped cream.

You lap it up with a piece of bread,
And that's what you eat when you are dead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not have much time left!!
I couldn't resist the previous line.

I have NO PLANS for one in the near future

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 10:28 pm, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
[...]

And that's what you eat when you are dead.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know why, but I find myself singing "The worms crawl in, the
worms crawl out" lines every now and then. Just one of those things
that has stuck with me for all these years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not have much time left!!
I couldn't resist the previous line.

Try he

http://www.mhp-casketkits.com/casket_plans.php

And here is a toast for a young person, just for the hell of it:

May your coffin be made of the finest wood from a 100 year old
oak tree,...which I plan to plant tomorrow.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:25:37 -0500, "Michael Faurot"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:01 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Look he http://wayneofthewoods.com/coffin%202.html

The other day, I was thinking about the old west era and these types
of coffins. Not so much about how to make one of these coffins
myself, but about who, in that era, actually made the coffins. Would
an undertaker of the era, also be the one to make those coffins? Or
would the undertaker typically buy them from some other craftsman?

An undertaker would prepare the body, and typically without embalming.
The coffin making was often done by a woodworker or furniture maker.
It is not so unusual for a woodworker to make his/her own coffin or
for a family member. I'm fine with it, but some might think it a bit
ghoulish.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Faurot" opin'd thus:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:01 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Look he http://wayneofthewoods.com/coffin%202.html

The other day, I was thinking about the old west era and these types
of coffins. Not so much about how to make one of these coffins
myself, but about who, in that era, actually made the coffins. Would
an undertaker of the era, also be the one to make those coffins? Or
would the undertaker typically buy them from some other craftsman?

That's why the undertaker and the furniture maker often shared a
building . . . .

--
Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:40:22 -0600, Don Fearn
wrote:

"Michael Faurot" opin'd thus:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 29, 8:01 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you
would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the
head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any
help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Look he http://wayneofthewoods.com/coffin%202.html

The other day, I was thinking about the old west era and these types
of coffins. Not so much about how to make one of these coffins
myself, but about who, in that era, actually made the coffins. Would
an undertaker of the era, also be the one to make those coffins? Or
would the undertaker typically buy them from some other craftsman?

That's why the undertaker and the furniture maker often shared a
building . . . .

Early 20th century found many of the furniture stores that doubled as
the local undertaker. There are still family owned businesses that are
in both furniture and funeral operations albeit separate locations
these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Michael Faurot wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

An undertaker would prepare the body, and typically without embalming.
The coffin making was often done by a woodworker or furniture maker.

Thanks for the info.

It is not so unusual for a woodworker to make his/her own coffin or
for a family member. I'm fine with it, but some might think it a bit
ghoulish.

That's not a bad idea--make my own coffin or urn. May as well make
it myself, with the wood, joinery and finish I want and have it
come out the way I want it to, rather than have a family member
shell out a fortune for something made at a factory that I probably
wouldn't like anyway.

I wasn't planning on needing one myself...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Rockler is having a half price sale on their books
One of them is a how to build caskets.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

news
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember reading in Landis' The Workbench Book, that the
relationship in those days between craftsman and client was of the cradle to
grave variety and the craftsman would show up at the interment to drive the
nails into his (former) client's coffin. No word on whether he actually
made the coffin, but it would seem logical.

jc

DIY Coffin Plans Barry Lennox Woodworking 21 June 28th 07 07:12 AM
PET COFFIN J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:36 AM
TOE PINCHER COFFIN J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:34 AM
INSPIRATION - Coffin J T Woodworking 1 March 14th 06 08:46 PM
Coffin Needs mike Woodworking 43 March 6th 06 02:06 PM