Posted to rec.woodworking

Default finishing birch plywood

I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch
plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in
color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So
far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a
sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each
product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken
it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 7:24 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:58:20 -0700, wrote:
Will a water based poly work for this application?

Water based products are great with birch when no color is desired.

Try a scrap panel with a good quality water based varnish available
near you. Follow the directions on the can for the specific product
you choose, including a light sanding after the first coat. Water
raises the grain of wood, so a sanding (maybe 220 grit) after the
first coat of water based product is very necessary after the first
coat, if a sanding sealer is not used.

Not all water based products are created equal, so if you don't like
one, try another. Some have come a long way, some still aren't very
good. Here's a very recent comparison:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_187_046.asp

Don't put it on the actual parts until you have a good handle on
application, and are happy with the results.

**http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Thanks for the info Barry. I'll give it a try.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1188173426.669252.64620
@r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

On Aug 26, 7:24 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
[...]

**
http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Thanks for the info Barry. I'll give it a try.

And next time you have a go at this type of cabinet, check with your
plywood folks to see if they have prefinished birch or maple for you to
buy. A LOT easier to use, saves a bunch of time and not that much more
$$$.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

The waterbased stuff is great for what you want. I like to use exterior
clear acrylic for cabinets and for the interior of the vintage travel
trailers we restore.

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Craig

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch
plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in
color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So
far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a
sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each
product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken
it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch
plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in
color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So
far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a
sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each
product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken
it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

I have the best luck with blonde shellac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 1:58 pm, "Frank Drackman" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch
plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in
color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So
far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a
sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each
product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken
it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

I have the best luck with blonde shellac.

Thanks to all that replied. I'll reply with the results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 7:48 pm, wrote:
On Aug 27, 1:58 pm, "Frank Drackman" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

I have built some kitchen cabinets with maple face frames and birch
plywood. I am trying to finish the plywood so that it looks light in
color very similar to what it looks like with out anything on it. So
far I have used poly oil based, brushing lacquer, and have tried a
sanding sealer with both. The plywood has gotten darker with each
product. Can anyone tell me how to protect the plywood but not darken
it? Will a water based poly work for this application?

I have the best luck with blonde shellac.

Thanks to all that replied. I'll reply with the results.

The water-based poly worked great. That is just what I was hoping
for. I used oil based poly on the face frames because I like the
amber tone it gives. I stained the face frames first with the
smallest bit of olympic colonial maple. I rub it on and off quickly
as not to make the wood too dark. My cabinet project is coming out
pretty nice.

Again, thanks to all of you that helped.