Posted to rec.woodworking

Default painting Birch plywood

I have some Birch plywood pieces that are going to be painted. I want
a professional finished surface, something you would see in a
furniture store perhaps.

Do I prime first, and then paint?

Do I sand between coats, and if so, what's the process and what grit do
I use?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Use some spackle on any depressions or voids. sand lightly then prime (use
paint additive,can be purchased at hd) then paint using roller or better yet
spray.

good luck

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

rolsonDesign wrote:
I have some Birch plywood pieces that are going to be painted. I want
a professional finished surface, something you would see in a
furniture store perhaps.

Do I prime first, and then paint?

Do I sand between coats, and if so, what's the process and what grit do
I use?

Sand 220
Prime
Sand 220
If necessary (sanded through primer) prime and sand again
Paint
Sand 220
Paint again

I did this on a Poplar project with an automotive sprayer and the paint
was silky smooth without thining. Overspray is a _big_ problem with
these sprayers.

You can also get a smooth finish with a high quality roller purchased
at a paint store (if they have more than one cash register you're in
the wrong store).

Don't cheap out on the paint either, I have been able to get a very
smooth finish using a brush and Muralo paint purchased at a Benjamin
Moore store. I'm sure Sherwin Williams or Pittsburgh also have a high
end paint that will give you a nice finish.

One last thing that I have heard but never tried is mixing BLO with an
oil-based paint to get a smooth finish.

Best bet is use the roller and do a lot of sanding.