LYLE MOYER

Default finishing birch??

Need advice on finishing a birch cabinet. I would like it dark. Any
suggestions. How about Watco oil? I understand that is easy to apply. Will
it show splochy on birch?

Thanks
Lyle

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:18:35 GMT, "LYLE MOYER"
wrote:

Need advice on finishing a birch cabinet. I would like it dark. Any
suggestions. How about Watco oil? I understand that is easy to apply. Will
it show splochy on birch?

Thanks
Lyle

test on scrap and see.

birch is infamous for blotch, so the odds are against it working well
without using a conditioner first. if you want to really be sure, the
sequence will be something like:
sealer
sand
sealer
glaze
topcoat
sand
topcoat.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:05:17 GMT, "LYLE MOYER"
wrote:

I was going to use miniwax wood conditioner. Will this work as sealer?
Lyle

test on scrap G

go he
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/portal.php
and start reading.
Andy

It's not dark, I finished some baltic birch ply with straight
Polyurethane gel varnish. It looks great - the poly kind of gives the
wood some 3D texture and a nice warmth. If you want dark next time,
try starting with walnut or stained oak.
I've read that gel stains reduce blotchiness, but I haven't used them
on anything other than oak.
Good luck,
Andy

JGS

That's about how I would do it. For the sealer I would use Zinsser's DEWAXED
Seal Coat Shellac. I only sand after the two light coats.
LM., the Glaze is the stain. Worth a trip the the library or store to read up
on the technique. Suggest Jeff Jewitt, Bob Flexner or Michael Dresdner as
authors. Good Luck, JG