Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pantograph?

I'm trying to make a custom pistol grip and wondered if anyone thinks
the Craftsman Router Pantograph would do that? I have a baked clay
model to go from. If Craftsman won't work, does anyone have any other
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, jdarylh1 wrote:
I'm trying to make a custom pistol grip and wondered if anyone thinks
the Craftsman Router Pantograph would do that? I have a baked clay
model to go from. If Craftsman won't work, does anyone have any other
suggestions?

Google "Duplicarver".

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

If it was me, I woulnd't ask, I'd just try it and see if it'd work.
If it doeesn't, no big deal to shape grips by hand. I made an excellent
pair of custom fit grips out of some sort of wood putty (that I've never
been able to find any of since), for a house gun, point of aim was right
on to where I pointed. The grips came out looking like solid wood, very
nice. If I remembered the name of the stuff, I'd buy more.

By chance was it "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty"?

http://www.waterputty.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Aug 26, 2007, 10:31pm (EDT+4) (Nova) doth
query:
By chance was it "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty"?
http://www.waterputty.com/

Dunno, been a few years. The stuff I used, you could add some, and
it would adhere perfectly, and when you sanded it couldn't even tell
where it was added. If this stuff will do that, it might be what I
used.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 3:40 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, jdarylh1 wrote:I'm trying to make a custom pistol grip and wondered if anyone thinks
the Craftsman Router Pantograph would do that? I have a baked clay
model to go from. If Craftsman won't work, does anyone have any other
suggestions?

Google "Duplicarver".

Hunted around and finally found them. Dupli-Carver (http://
www.terrco.com/woodcarvers.php) But that's a bunch of money for just
occasional use. One suggestion somewhere got me started Googling
"gunstock duplicators" and I came across another website and after
reading the History section and browsing around on it, thought his
machine plans sounded pretty good. http://www.copycarver.com He
actually tried the Craftsman pantograph and found that it was
worthless. Then he tried a $3,600 duplicator and it was no good
either.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Aug 26, 2007, 12:21pm (EDT-3) (jdarylh1) doth
sayeth:
I'm trying to make a custom pistol grip and wondered if anyone thinks
the Craftsman Router Pantograph would do that? I have a baked clay model
to go from. If Craftsman won't work, does anyone have any other
suggestions?

I'm curious now. What are you meaning by "custom" grips that makes
you figure your "require" some sort of a duplicator carver to make?
Here's some custom grips that were made by hand.
http://www.jamesdjulia.net/firearm/m...?Details=30368
Not only that, the guy made the pistols too. He was a well respected
gun designer, and maker, back around WWII.

Unless you plan on something really extraordinary, pistol grips
aren't hard to make. Trace a blank, cut it out, shape. That's
basically it.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's some custom grips that were made by hand.http://www.jamesdjulia.net/firearm/m....asp?Details=3...
Not only that, the guy made the pistols too. He was a well respected
gun designer, and maker, back around WWII.

Unless you plan on something really extraordinary, pistol grips
aren't hard to make. Trace a blank, cut it out, shape. That's
basically it.

Those are pretty awesome grips! The one I want to make isn't quite
that exotic. It's just that I don't have the patient, "enjoy the
journey" mindset a lot of people have. To me, the end result is my
focus and I want to get there as fast and easily as possible. That's
why I have nail guns, cordless drills and power saws. Some folks are
really into hand tools and slow, methodical work processes. I'm just
not built that way.

I can probably make one without a duplicator, but after making a test
version out of pine, I started thinking that there had to be a faster,
easier way. My clay model is really precise in terms of fit, and to
exactly (or close) duplicate that in wood has been a slow, tedious
process. The pine grip wasn't all that successful, but it was my
first. The next one will be better but I'm looking for a better way
to transfer the dimensions and rough it in other than trace, measure,
get the calipers, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Aug 29, 2007, 4:15am (EDT-3) (jdarylh1) doth
sayeth:
snip I want to get there as fast and easily as possible. That's why I
have nail guns, cordless drills and power saws. snip
I can probably make one without a duplicator, but after making a test
version out of pine, I started thinking that there had to be a faster,
easier way. My clay model is really precise in terms of fit, and to
exactly (or close) duplicate that in wood has been a slow, tedious
process. The pine grip wasn't all that successful, but it was my first.
The next one will be better but I'm looking for a better way to transfer
the dimensions and rough it in other than trace, measure, get the
calipers, etc.

Yeah, I've got power tools, but sometimes it's more relaxing to
just do something by hand.

Well, you could make a pair of grips like I did, with wood filler,
and mold it. I used saran wrap around the revolver grip area, packed on
filler, set some saran wrap on that, then fit my hand on it, and
squeezed. When it dried, sanded it, tried it, added filler, repeat.
Took a couple or three days to finish, but wound up with totally custom
gps, with finger grooves, and thumb rest. Completely form fitting. As
a house gun it would aim exactly where I pointed my hand, didn't need to
use sights. That's one way.

Or, you could cave balsa, that'd go fast, and soak it with epoxy
when done But If I was doing it, and had hard clay molds I wanted to
copy, I'd make a simple duplicator, with a Dremel type tool. Fix it and
a pinin a fixture, suspend that from a frame with springs (maybe hinges
on the back side, and two springs in the front), and have the frame on
casters (Hell, you could even cut hollows, and roll it on marbles), so
it could move. Have the model, and piece to be carved fastened from
below, so they won't shift. I'd rough cut excess of the piece to be
carved. Then just lower the fixture, so a guide pin can go over the
model, and have the Dremel spaced so it will go over the piece to be
carved. That should rough cut well enough. For a one-time thing
anyway. I'd still just prefer the filler method, unless you want pretty
wood, to show off.

I was gonna mold a woodfiller cheeck rest for my squirrel rifle,
but wound up laminating one instead. But I'll probably mold one for a
scoped air rifle..

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are these going to be target
grips? That would be the only reason for being as precise as you seem
to be wanting. Target grips for competition that is.

Yep, these are target grips but also the feel of custom grips just
can't be beat. I like your idea of the wood filler, that's pretty
cool. What brand did you use? I'll have to try it sometime. I wanted
this set to be fancy wood though. Also putting together a quick frame
for a Dremel sounds good. I'll put some thought to that. Seems
quicker and less complicated than the Copycarver I mentioned in my

The Copycarver would be much better, but for a one time use, the
Dremel would probably serve. Maybe I'll rough out some with my
bandsaw, then chuck a rasp in my die grinder, knock off more, then put
it on the Dremel concoction and finish it off. Or if I'm lucky and
don't screw up, maybe the die grinder will get it close enough to the
sanding stage where I won't have to do anything more.

The part that has me most worried is the inside where it has to be a
dead fit to the pistol skeleton. How good the fit is, determines if
the grip's going to move around. The single screw only holds the two
halves together. That's where the Dremel thing would work really
well. I could trace around the inside of the old grip and the Dremel
would duplicate that on the inside of the new ones.

I wish someone made carbide router bits that fit a Dremel. HSS
doesn't hold up at all and I'll probably have to go through a few of
them before the job's done.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Aug 30, 2007, 4:20am (EDT-3) (jdarylh1) doth
sayeth:
Yep, these are target grips snip
I like your idea of the wood filler, that's pretty cool. What brand did
you use? snip
The part that has me most worried is the inside where it has to be a
dead fit to the pistol skeleton. snip

Unless you're using them in competition, or just punching paper
targets, I personally wouldn't bother with target grips.

I was given the filler, and don't recall the name. Wish I did.

Depends on the handgun, and the grips. The grips I made went on a
revolver. The originals fit into the frame. I did the same with the
ones I made, but they also wrapped completely around the frame. I've
got another revolver that the grips wrap comletely around the frame.
Got a spare set of grips that are completely flat inside, they were held
in place for the fit on top against the frame, and by a pin on the
bottom, and held together with a screw. They were replaced with a pair
of wrap around rubber grips. But if you fit them inside the frame, as
long as they connect at at least 3 points, should stay in place. Could
just glue a separate piece to the grips, to save routing/carving the
inside. Nice thing about using pine, it's inexpensive, should work
pretty easy, you don't feel bad about scrapping it if you screw up, it
will work well when finished, and should look good.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

One other thing you might look at is thermoset plastic putty like Fimo or
Sculpy. I've made grips from Sculpy and they work quite well. This is a
plastic putty that can be cured or set in an oven @ 275 for 15 minutes per
1/4" of material. I've also carved grips "freehand" with a Dremel using a
router base to keep the cuts perpendicular. Just go slow, work from the
center out, and know which side of the line to stop on. 1911-style grips
are a piece of cake once you get/make a few tools. I've made a jig to get
the screw holes the proper distance apart, a jig for the bandsaw that uses
these holes (jig rides in miter saw slot) that uses these holes and cuts
outline, and to sand to shape, I've got a piece of 1" mild steel tubing
that I have grip bushings mounted on - I screw the grip blank into this and
sand to shape w/belt sander.
Posted to rec.woodworking

One other thing you might look at is thermoset plastic putty like Fimo or
Sculpy.

That's actually what I used to make the original form. Was really
easy to get a great fit. But I really want to transfer that to wood,
much cooler looking if it's done right. I put some thought into JT's
comments about an easily made 3D carver and I've come up with an idea
that should work awesome and it just uses scraps I have lying around.
If it works like I think it will, I should post photos so someone else
could make one if they needed it. I decided to power it by my Rotozip
instead of my Dremel. Much beefier and more selection of carbide bits
for it. It'll be a while before I get it made though...it's really
easy to build but I've got other stuff going on so I have to work this
in as I can.

PANTOGRAPH J T Woodworking 0 May 12th 07 03:20 AM
pantograph plans or hints? Dave Hinz Metalworking 10 April 14th 06 02:52 PM
Gunner... Gorton pantograph? M Metalworking 12 April 12th 06 05:22 AM
PANTOGRAPH J T Woodworking 0 November 18th 05 01:49 AM
Looking for a pantograph engraving machine [email protected] Metalworking 2 October 13th 05 07:52 PM