Default Looking for a pantograph engraving machine

I am a knifemaker and I am looking for a way to engrave my blades with
my name (after they are hardened and before the handles are put on).
Another knifemaker I know uses a New Hermes Model TX (non motorized)
with a diamond stylus with great success. There are so many models out
there that I haven't a clue which would do what I want so I am looking
for the same model he uses unless I can find a different one locally
(Portland, OR area) where I can see it work. I only need as much
machine as will perform this one application.

Thanks,

Raymond Coon
Maker
damascusknife.com
(503) 658-2252

Forgot to add my email: raymond @ damascusknife.com

Thanks

Gunner

On 12 Oct 2005 10:19:43 -0700, "
wrote:

raymond @ damascusknife.com

Ray..go to Ebay and search for Gorton. There are usually tons
(literally) of pantographs that sell for very little money. I have a
3-z that Im rather fond of. These tend to be extraordenarily
heavy..top heavy too..so consider this if the unit will require
shipping. Check with your local machine tool dealer. Its not unusual
for them to have a couple hidden away in dusty corners as there is
very very little call for them.

Its harder to find affordable fonts, and in many cases..a set of fonts
costs more than a decent machine.

Also..consider a P2-3 or similar 3-D machine. They are capable of
duplicating knife scales, easily, and you may set the reduction or
expansion ratios..and make entire lines of hilts/scales in various
sizes from a single pattern

The 3-Z I have will also do limited 3d work..but its not recommended.
Ive used it many times for carving out slab grips for semi-auto
pistols and may be used as a decent enough small milling machine.

Ive a couple old model makers who come by to use it for milling out
motor brackets for RC airplanes and whatnot.
If you have the applications..they can be a damned handy tool

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner