Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cut de-waxed Shellac vs. Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner

Pretty soon I going to have to think about staining/finishing these
[Home Depot Radiata] pine vanity cabinets. I've used Minwax Pre-Stain
Conditioner prior to staining pine moldings but now have bought a can of
Zinzer's Bullseye Clear Shellac (Product Code 00304). Would cutting the
Bullseye to a one or two pound cut give me the same product as the Minwax?
I can't determine if it's dewaxed or no.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Houston wrote:
Pretty soon I going to have to think about staining/finishing these
[Home Depot Radiata] pine vanity cabinets. I've used Minwax Pre-Stain
Conditioner prior to staining pine moldings but now have bought a can of
Zinzer's Bullseye Clear Shellac (Product Code 00304). Would cutting the
Bullseye to a one or two pound cut give me the same product as the Minwax?

No.

I can't determine if it's dewaxed or no.

It has wax. Dewaxed shellac is sold as Zinnser Seal Coat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Damn, you guys are already on this subject and way ahead of me (I had
just commented on the lacquer thread about dewax...).

On another note, on the Minwax pre-stain it seems from the
instructions you can apply the stain before the sealer is totally dry,
at least is not specific. I did some tests and letting it dry all the
way is the key to a good result.

On Aug 21, 11:52 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Dave in Houston wrote:
Pretty soon I going to have to think about staining/finishing these
[Home Depot Radiata] pine vanity cabinets. I've used Minwax Pre-Stain
Conditioner prior to staining pine moldings but now have bought a can of
Zinzer's Bullseye Clear Shellac (Product Code 00304). Would cutting the
Bullseye to a one or two pound cut give me the same product as the Minwax?

No.

I can't determine if it's dewaxed or no.

It has wax. Dewaxed shellac is sold as Zinnser Seal Coat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:52:12 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Dave in Houston wrote:
Pretty soon I going to have to think about staining/finishing these
[Home Depot Radiata] pine vanity cabinets. I've used Minwax Pre-Stain
Conditioner prior to staining pine moldings but now have bought a can of
Zinzer's Bullseye Clear Shellac (Product Code 00304). Would cutting the
Bullseye to a one or two pound cut give me the same product as the Minwax?

No.

I can't determine if it's dewaxed or no.

It has wax. Dewaxed shellac is sold as Zinnser Seal Coat.

And the SealCoat is already a 2 pound cut so you can use it as is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
ups.com:
snip
On another note, on the Minwax pre-stain it seems from the
instructions you can apply the stain before the sealer is totally dry,
at least is not specific. I did some tests and letting it dry all the
way is the key to a good result.

Yabbut it's still junk. Use the shellac spit coat in good health.

Patriarch,
irrationally unhappy with yellow cans...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:52:12 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

It has wax. Dewaxed shellac is sold as Zinnser Seal Coat.

And the SealCoat is already a 2 pound cut so you can use it as is.

I'm sold; Seal Coat it is.
Thanks, guys.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston