Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What to thin Minwax stain with?

I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature
object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:10:45 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature
object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
TIA
Norm

Use Minwax natural (clear) . Pour some clear into another container
and sloooowly add the Ebony a bit at a time until you get the color
you think you want.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature
object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
TIA
Norm

Black is black. Thinning it will only make it less black, and your
stain more like a tint.

The only thing you can mix black with to make it gray is white, so you
would need to find some kind of colorant that is compatible. I would
think though that a paint store would have to put in a lot to get that
done (zinc white maybe?) and they wouldn't guarantee the product.

You need to take that stuff back and buy the color you need.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature
object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
TIA
Norm

You're in luck, Norm- just don't mix it, and it'll come out gray. If
it's not quite dark enough, give it one slow swirl with a stir stick
and try again. Repeat until you get the shade you want- no real need
to thin it, the black will settle to the bottom on it's own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What to thin Minwax stain with? --- UPDATE

| On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:10:45 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
| wrote:
|
| I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a
miniature
| object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
| TIA
| Norm

Based on several answers, I took some very light colored Minwax stain which
was almost the same color as the wood I was using and added some Ebony stain
to it. Final results to get the gray color I wanted was 1 part Ebony to 3
parts Pickled Oak. I've been told that I can also use the Natural stain and
I've bought a can of it for future use.

Thanks to all who answered.
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Norm Dresner, Douglas1378 wrote:
You could buy gray stain. You get the color you purchase

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...th-347843-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2019 1:44 PM, Douglas1378 wrote:
replying to Norm Dresner, Douglas1378 wrote:
You could buy gray stain.Â* You get the color you purchase

LOL! After thirteen years, it's probably faded to just the right color.

Big mistake with Stain and Wood Conditioner/Seal a cell Keith Woodworking 4 August 27th 06 05:06 AM
Uneven stain Matthew Woodworking 9 August 29th 05 01:37 PM
how to choose wood stain Melissa Home Repair 12 August 3rd 05 03:10 PM
Problem w/ uneven stain davidmc Woodworking 1 August 6th 04 04:35 PM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM