Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What to thin Minwax stain with?

Norm Dresner wrote:
I want to get a gray, rather than black color on some wood for a miniature
object using Minwax Ebony stain. What should I thin it with?
TIA
Norm

Black is black. Thinning it will only make it less black, and your
stain more like a tint.

The only thing you can mix black with to make it gray is white, so you
would need to find some kind of colorant that is compatible. I would
think though that a paint store would have to put in a lot to get that
done (zinc white maybe?) and they wouldn't guarantee the product.

You need to take that stuff back and buy the color you need.

Robert