Bay Area Dave

Default McCloskey's stain vs Minwax - opinions please

Now that I know a nearby store carries McCloskey's stain, I'd like to
know if it's way better than Minwax. I don't like Minwax much. I want
something faster drying. I like Bonakemi's stain, but the store is
distant and they have few colors. I'm interested in the oil based
stains. TIA

dave

Swingman

I prefer Zar's or Bartley's. I use a lot of Zar's Provincial 114 on Oak.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
What brand do you use when you need
an oil based stain?

bob

Okay, I'm learning something here. I've used Minwax for years. I don't
have anything to compare it to - it's what the borg carries - I've never
shopped anywhere else for stain. Someone please explain why these other
brands are superior. I might need to find a better supplier...

Thanks.

Bob

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...
Now that I know a nearby store carries McCloskey's stain, I'd like to
know if it's way better than Minwax. I don't like Minwax much. I want
something faster drying. I like Bonakemi's stain, but the store is
distant and they have few colors. I'm interested in the oil based
stains. TIA

dave

Leon

"bob" wrote in message
.. .
Okay, I'm learning something here. I've used Minwax for years. I don't
have anything to compare it to - it's what the borg carries - I've never
shopped anywhere else for stain. Someone please explain why these other
brands are superior. I might need to find a better supplier...

Most apply with a rag more consistently even and easier.

Bay Area Dave

when time is a factor, you do NOT want to use Minwax. applying a seal
coat must be delayed (drying time varies with temp, application, blah,
blah blah) compared to some of the superior stains that have been
mentioned on this thread. I personally haven't used any of the better
ones except for Bonakemi Dri Fast which is top notch. Dries fast, just
like the name, goes on evenly, and doesn't have the annoying, nose
irritating (to me, anyway) smell that Minwax has. I don't know if the
brands the other fellas use are fast drying like Bonakemi. We'll let
them chime in on that score.

dave

bob wrote:

Okay, I'm learning something here. I've used Minwax for years. I don't
have anything to compare it to - it's what the borg carries - I've never
shopped anywhere else for stain. Someone please explain why these other
brands are superior. I might need to find a better supplier...

Thanks.

Bob

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
m...

Now that I know a nearby store carries McCloskey's stain, I'd like to
know if it's way better than Minwax. I don't like Minwax much. I want
something faster drying. I like Bonakemi's stain, but the store is
distant and they have few colors. I'm interested in the oil based
stains. TIA

dave

MSH

Besides dry time you need to consider bleeding, lapping, and ability to make
repairs on the fly.

M Hamlin

Bay Area Dave

Mark,

have you used McCloskeys?

MSH wrote:

Besides dry time you need to consider bleeding, lapping, and ability to make
repairs on the fly.

M Hamlin

BRFordJr

I have never used McCloskey's. I have used truckloads of Minwax and have a
love hate relationship. I run a finishing shop for a large unfinished furniture
retailer. Unfinished furniture varies greatly in quaility in wood selection and
contruction. Minwax is great on oak and properly dried pine. On aspen, cherry,
and maple mixwax tends to be blotchy and uneven.
Recently I was turned onto Zar wood stain. It is made by UGL out of Scranton
PA. It is quite a bit thicker than Minwax but not as thick as gell stains.
Their catch phrase is "controlled penitration," and I have found this to be
true even on Aspen. Now for the good news, It is much faster drying than
Minwax, I have used shellac over Zar with as little as 6 hours dry time. Now
the better news, I have it on good authority from my UGL rep. that the entire
line of Zar stains and top coats will soon dry in 2 hours. The label will not
change right away to allow for the old inventory to sell. He told me to look
for a QD (quick dry) on the lid. Check out UGL.com to find a retailer. They do
not sell their wood finish line in home centers, as they like to support small
business.
I hope you try and like this product as much as I do.
Brian.
Bay Area Dave

Thanks Brian. I will look to see who carries it. The name is vaguely
familiar. I just picked up some Dri Fast Bonakemi stain at a local
wholesaler and this time they got a little ****y about selling retail,
so I need a fall back plan for finding good stains. 'preciate your info.

dave

BRFordJr wrote:

[...]

Thickening stain Jim Mc Namara Woodworking 8 August 29th 03 05:17 AM
Stain samples Sam Hopkins Woodworking 4 August 27th 03 04:33 PM
stain for bookcase David Zaret Woodworking 2 August 22nd 03 01:39 AM
Applying Stain BUB 209 Woodworking 19 July 31st 03 09:53 AM