Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Charity & Woodworking

I curious about the woodworker groups that make toys for kids. I've done a
Google search but only came up with a few, and none near me (New Mexico) do
any of you participate in such an organization

Mike

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in
:

I curious about the woodworker groups that make toys for kids. I've
done a Google search but only came up with a few, and none near me
(New Mexico) do any of you participate in such an organization

Mike

See if you can find a local woodworking club, and ask there. Our club has
such an effort, with significant output and effort on the part of several
dozen of the group. There isn't one of them not proud of the work they do,
but not one of them would claim that it's something that makes them
special. It's something that makes them feel useful and helpful, and doing
something for kids that really need it.

Another path to take would be to ask at your local government social
services location. If there is a group doing this, they might know.

The thing is, this is pretty simple woodworking, for the most part. It
doesn't take fancy woods, or fancy tools, or complex finishing schedules.
A couple of folks, doing something for a couple of weeks, or a couple of
mornings per week, can put out a large volume of toys based on simple
production methods.

You could be one of those guys. And you'd be surprised who would want to
help.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
I curious about the woodworker groups that make toys for kids. I've done a
Google search but only came up with a few, and none near me (New Mexico) do
any of you participate in such an organization

Mike

My woodworking club has given away many thousands of toy cars, trucks, other
toys, bird houses and tool totes to children. Most of this give-away occurs
at our annual shows but it is also done at fairs, festivals, and other
public events.

For our November '07 and April '08 shows I'm the chair for The Toy Factory.
We're taking a little different approach to things this time... The kids
will assemble their own tool tote with help from club members rather than
just take them... We're already starting to make 500+ tool tote kits. The
wood is being custom sawn and planed to 3/8" and 5/8" thickness by a mill
that saws with a 36" bandsaw. The club's members will dimension it. For
assembly, glue and 1" hand-nailed brads will be used. I designed the kit and
prototyped it with Cub Scouts and siblings last spring and children as young
as five assembled them with help from 9 year olds.

The members supported my proposal to have the kids get involved in the
assembly as we are an educational organization. Having adults come up and
take 2, 3, 4+ toys for their grandchildren, nieces, etc., had worn thin...
What connection would the kid have to the toy, to tools, or to the club?

John
Treasurer for the Mid-Hudson chapter of Northeastern Woodworkers Association
http://midhudsonwoodworkers.org/
http://www.woodworker.org/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks I'll check these different venues or maybe start my own.

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.