Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rains

Looks like the folks in South Texas are getting hammered pretty good
by rain storm "Erin".

If you can, stay dry you rascals.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 11:24 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Looks like the folks in South Texas are getting hammered pretty good
by rain storm "Erin".

If you can, stay dry you rascals.

Lew

We aren't getting the worst of it, but the rain continues as I type.
This afternoon in a space of about 5 hours the south end of town got
almost 8". Farther north where I am we got away with about 4 1/2 -
5".

We received a significant amount over our normal annual rainfall by
the first part of July, and we have barely had two short weeks without
rain. Our ground is so flooded that the rains shut down the city.
Schools closed, businesses closed, SA International Airport closed,
many companies, etc.

4 deaths, over 400 accidents and about 60 high water emergency car
rescues. Miles and miles of traffic jams from the wrecks and closed
roads. The monetary loss to business and regular wage earners is
estimated in so many millions from the first two months we had of this
I won't quote the number.. no one would believe it.

But I can tell you I have two different companies that do repairs/
remodeling like I do that are closing. They haven't had solid work
(read: paychecks) in over two months, so they can't hang on anymore.
I won't put a pencil to what the last 2 1/2 months have cost me, nor
will I sit and calculate what another month of bad weather will do to
my company. Since I don't really drink like I used to, it is too
unpleasant to face without self medication.

It is MORE than miserable. And to top it off, depending on the path
of the next hurricane we will be back in this in about a week, if not
worse. In all my memory of living here in Texas I don't ever remember
a weather pattern like this.

I for one appreciate the postive thoughts, Lew.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

nailshooter41 wrote:

We aren't getting the worst of it, but the rain continues as I type.
This afternoon in a space of about 5 hours the south end of town got
almost 8". Farther north where I am we got away with about 4 1/2 -
5".

We received a significant amount over our normal annual rainfall by
the first part of July, and we have barely had two short weeks

without
rain. Our ground is so flooded that the rains shut down the city.
Schools closed, businesses closed, SA International Airport closed,
many companies, etc.

Spent some time in San Angelo back in the 60s.

Coming from a place where if you don't get about 1/4" rain a week
during the growing season, you have a drought, I found the following
to be just a little different.

Finding swales cut in the streets at intersections and the temps
getting down to 90F at 04:00AM aand the low humidity were certainly
new to me; however, when I was told they had built a water reservoir a
few years previous and were waiting for a good rain to fill it, I
thought "wow".

Guess that reservoir must be filled by now.

Hang in there, as the old saying goes, ".... and this to shall pass".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

Been similar all the way up to C and SE KS and MO, this spring and early
summer, too. Much wheat was left in the fields as complete loss.
Meanwhile, in the SW, we're burning up and can't even get a sprinkle
despite the highest dewpoints (for us) I can recall consistently ever.

Blow hard, maybe it'll push far enough west and eventually around north
to get us at least a sprinkle -- starting to see some of the high level
cloud drift and noticed there's a leading line around Amarillo. Maybe
it can push out some of this high but they're not giving us much of a
chance this far west -- 10% is all I've seen so far from NWS...

Hang in down there, though...other side of the family is scattered from
Pharr/McAllen area northward out The Valley. Hasn't been kind to their
citrus, etc., either...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Been similar all the way up to C and SE KS and MO, this spring and early
summer, too. Much wheat was left in the fields as complete loss.
Meanwhile, in the SW, we're burning up and can't even get a sprinkle
despite the highest dewpoints (for us) I can recall consistently ever.

The ranchers that lease our Karnes County, Texas place are struggling to
get the remaining 80+ acres of corn combined; that's roughly half to go.
Last year the pastures were toast and this year it's hard to get equipment
into the fields on a timely basis. They were more than a month late getting
the corn planted and are now some six weeks past their normal harvest date.
Spring rains caused some loss of the winter wheat crop to boot.
The joke used to be that when the forty days and nights of rain flooded
the earth (think Noah's ark) that Karnes County got two tenths.
If there is any upside it might be that there may be enough residual
corn on the ground when the south zone dove season opens (third weekend in
September) tp hold more birds than in most years. Not that I could hit them
if there were.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston