Posted to alt.home.repair
jaynews

Default Central A/C tune-up....what if it rains?

Just was wondering if it would be a good idea to insist that my annual
Central A/C tune-up be rescheduled if rain is expected that day or rain
happens that day. I believe when I asked them last year, "what happens if
it rains", they said something about putting up some type of tent around the
unit so they could service it, but it did not rain.

Are they really going to be doing an excellent job tuning up the condenser,
which involves checking freon, cleaning it, possibly lubricate, inspecting
everything, etc., and applying rust-proof spray to it when it's raining....
or is putting up some type of tent really going to ensure the tune-up is
just as good as if it were sunny out?

What do you think....is it okay to have them do the job while it is raining
out?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldnt want a miserable soaking wet hvac slackjaw working on
anything of mine....you know he will rush it....you know all he is
going to care about is getting done quickly ..... His company shouldnt
be sending him out on routine maintenance on a rainy day anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

jaynews wrote:
Just was wondering if it would be a good idea to insist that my annual
Central A/C tune-up be rescheduled if rain is expected that day or rain
happens that day. I believe when I asked them last year, "what happens if
it rains", they said something about putting up some type of tent around the
unit so they could service it, but it did not rain.

Are they really going to be doing an excellent job tuning up the condenser,
which involves checking freon, cleaning it, possibly lubricate, inspecting
everything, etc., and applying rust-proof spray to it when it's raining....
or is putting up some type of tent really going to ensure the tune-up is
just as good as if it were sunny out?

What do you think....is it okay to have them do the job while it is raining
out?

Thanks,

J.

The issue with rain is NOT that they get wet, that they can't paint rust.

Rain changes the heat transfer characteristic of the condenser coil
outside. I think that the condenser begins to chill the refrigerant
MORE efficiently, changing the pressures on the compressor. Pressure
readings will then be different and will trigger them to possibly add
MORE refrigerant than is called for, making the system less efficient
when the condenser is dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"jaynews" wrote in message

Just was wondering if it would be a good idea to insist that my annual
Central A/C tune-up be rescheduled if rain is expected that day or rain
happens that day.

A/C is not an old man, does not need annual checkup. You're wasting your
moeny.

There are few-to-none things a guy can spot in advance, in order to prevent
a impending failure.

And what do you get in exchange for the "tuneup" - a guarantee that your
system will not fail for the next season?

I agree, that on a rainy day, whatever the guy does (or does not) will be
done faster. But what does it matter - you're not getting anything anyway.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
aka-SBM

"RichK" wrote in message

"jaynews" wrote in message

Just was wondering if it would be a good idea to insist that my annual
Central A/C tune-up be rescheduled if rain is expected that day or rain
happens that day.

A/C is not an old man, does not need annual checkup. You're wasting your
moeny.

Checkup would be a basic term....however, Ill be sure to tell the next guy I
run into that didnt do an annual service and hes flooded his compressor due
to a clogged evap that you said he was wasting his money anyway by cleaning
it...

You realize, that by failing to service the unit, you void warrantys too
right?

There are few-to-none things a guy can spot in advance, in order to
prevent
a impending failure.

Yea..that high side gauge fluttering like a bitch has no meaning at
all...that valves not about to fail....

And what do you get in exchange for the "tuneup" - a guarantee that your
system will not fail for the next season?

Well....some companies offer greatly reduced rates for repairs, IF you have
a service contract.
Some, offer free labor on any warranty replaced parts as long as its during
a service..meaning, you dont pay labor for the replaced part...and SOME even
give you a service contract on the new unit for up to 5 years.

I agree, that on a rainy day, whatever the guy does (or does not) will be
done faster. But what does it matter - you're not getting anything
anyway.

Care to come with us on a few services and prove that statement?
Really...Im serious..if you are in our area, you can ride with one of the
guys, you can see whats being done, you can ask all the questions you want,
and you can see how a properly serviced unit, will not only outlast one
thats used and abused, but you can see what you thought wasnt being done.

A proper service, BTW, takes between 1.5 hours and 3...depending on the
situation and location of the unit. Package units anywhere from 1 to 2
hours. If you are getting the 20 minute driveby service, you ARE getting
screwed.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I've tried 3 different HVAC companies for so-call maintenence service. All
were a complete waste of money. They didn't even clean the inside coils.

"aka-SBM" wrote in message

"RichK" wrote in message

"jaynews" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Art wrote:
I've tried 3 different HVAC companies for so-call maintenence service. All
were a complete waste of money. They didn't even clean the inside coils.

Proper service of AC involves checking ac compressor pressure levels
when the is off and when it has been running awhile. Add refrigerant,
if needed. Inspect and clean condenser coils if necessary. Verify
proper fan operation and air pressure inside the housing between the fan
and the evaporator coils. Put bleach down the drain for the evaporator
to limit algae growth. Check air temp of air leaving nearest register
when unit is operating.

No one, not even the most reputable, do any cleaning of inside coils.
In 99.9% of cases, the inside coils are not accessable for cleaning
without COMPLETE removal of the evaporator.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

On Mon, 01 May 2006 06:39:35 GMT, "jaynews"

.......and by the way. Dont listen to .. He is just a ..
.. because he was too stupid to do it himself.
Bubba

Don't you see how those comments really reflect on you?

A simple note that you disagree and why, would carry far more weight.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
aka-SBM

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've tried 3 different HVAC companies for so-call maintenence service.
All were a complete waste of money. They didn't even clean the inside
coils.

I would agree with you on that point then.

"aka-SBM" wrote in message

"RichK" wrote in message

"jaynews" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
aka-SBM

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
om...
Art wrote:
I've tried 3 different HVAC companies for so-call maintenence service.
All were a complete waste of money. They didn't even clean the inside
coils.

Proper service of AC involves checking ac compressor pressure levels when
the is off

Tells you nothing...not at all, unless its reading zero.

and when it has been running awhile.

Min 15 minutes, with proper superheat/or subcool readings taken.

Add refrigerant, if needed.

More often than not, remove if needed. Most around here are overcharged by
the next door neighbor doing it on the side...

Inspect and clean condenser coils if necessary. Verify proper fan
operation and air pressure inside the housing between the fan and the
evaporator coils. Put bleach down the drain for the evaporator to limit
algae growth.

Never put bleach in a drain....hacks might, but a professional wont. No
corrosive tabs are added, and depending on the brand of the unit, the coil
drain pan itself may lend to this effect of killing mold.

Check air temp of air leaving nearest register when unit is operating.

Umm....no...thats only if its a mobile home...lol

There is much more to a proper service than this, and its why it takes so
long...looks like Im gonna have to pull out the word file and post what
should be done.....

No one, not even the most reputable, do any cleaning of inside coils. In
99.9% of cases, the inside coils are not accessable for cleaning without
COMPLETE removal of the evaporator.

Bet me wrong and lose.

Id say, based upon years of installs, service and repair, only 1% tops
require any major work to get to the coil....if they DO, then the original
installers really screwed someone.