Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question on framing a door

I am gutting my house and need to frame a few new doors and remove a few
doors.

In close examination, the way the existing doors are framed is very
different from what I have seen typically done. Here is a picture of the
door frames of two adjacent doors.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010217.jpg

The right side is the rough frame of the door, looks typical. On the left
side I removed the piece of wood that is vertical. Normally those are just
1x6 nailed onto the 2x4 stud right? I pryed out one piece and was surprised
it is a piece of 2x6 routed on both sides to form a "T" section. So the
wider part is on the outside and the drywall stops short of it. Here is a
picture of it's cross section.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010221.jpg

The house is 35 years old, I wonder why it was done this way, and whether
there is any advantage of doing it this way. If I have to frame new doors
should I use this method to be consistent?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

That is certainly unique. I sure would not go to any lengths to duplicate
it though. It's pretty clever, but it serves no greater purpose than a
standard construction technique would.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Any possibilty that this door used to be a pocket door?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lou" wrote in message
s.com...
Any possibilty that this door used to be a pocket door?

No. I just tore out about 7 doors and they were all framed like that.
Nothing was touched in about 35 years since it was built.

I can certainly reuse these wood for the three new door frames if I pull out
the nails, is there any advantage by doing so?

My carpenter thinks it's easier to just use new 2x4s.

Someone else mentioned I should reuse these wood as they are probably at a
better grade than what I can buy today and will definitely not warp anymore.

Thoughts?

MC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

The only reason I can think of, is when they frame in the door openings,
they weren't sure where they will have doors, and where they will not (just
a pass through). This will allow them to decide later on where the doors
are to be hung? I said this because of the layout of the house, many
hallway doors, as you walk in the main entrance you can go to the north,
west and east wings they are all isolated, so there are many door openings,
some are pass throughs, and some are real doors.

Another reason may be more wood to attach mouldings and trim in addition to
the door frame itself.

Still scratching my head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 12:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

.. Here is a picture of the
door frames of two adjacent doors.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010217.jpg

In the picture of the framing, it appears that the doors are very
close together in a corner. Could it be that this approach was used
because "standard framing would require moving the doorways further
away from the corner? Or, am I reading the picture incorrectly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 16, 12:05 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

. Here is a picture of the
door frames of two adjacent doors.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/P1010217.jpg

In the picture of the framing, it appears that the doors are very
close together in a corner. Could it be that this approach was used
because "standard framing would require moving the doorways further
away from the corner? Or, am I reading the picture incorrectly?

Yes those two doors are very close, but that has nothing to do with the way
it is framed. I have already disassembled six doors and they were all
framed this way.

MC

Framing a door MiamiCuse Home Repair 2 August 11th 07 07:38 AM
Framing a door 46erjoe Home Repair 4 June 13th 06 10:18 PM
Entry Door - Transom Framing Brian Woodworking 0 October 23rd 05 09:17 PM
framing and door install steve Home Repair 1 April 2nd 05 03:19 PM
Framing 8' door with steel studs Beartums Home Repair 2 March 27th 05 08:31 PM