Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Framing a door

Can't remember ... it's been so long. I will be installing a pre-hung
32" wide door in a new wall I plan to build in my basement. How wide
and tall do I frame the opening? This is not a supporting wall. Do I
need to put a header at the top or will a simple verticle and
horizontal 2 x 4 do? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

46erjoe wrote:
Can't remember ... it's been so long. I will be installing a pre-hung
32" wide door in a new wall I plan to build in my basement. How wide
and tall do I frame the opening? This is not a supporting wall. Do I
need to put a header at the top or will a simple verticle and
horizontal 2 x 4 do? Thanks.

Usually the door will have the rough opening dimensions on it when you
buy it. I think the norm is 1 1/2" wider than the door, and 3/4"
taller, but confirm this when you buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

46erjoe wrote:

Can't remember ... it's been so long. I will be installing a pre-hung
32" wide door in a new wall I plan to build in my basement. How wide
and tall do I frame the opening? This is not a supporting wall. Do I
need to put a header at the top or will a simple verticle and
horizontal 2 x 4 do? Thanks.

2-1/2" wider and taller than the nominal door size. For a
standard 2'-8" x 6'-8" door, the rough opening is 34-1/2" wide
by 6'-10-1/2" tall.

On a nonbearing wall, a 2x4 header is fine. I usually use
2x6, just to be sure. You never know, for sure, if the wall
will become loadbearing due to future projects, or storage of
heavy items above.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

46erjoe wrote:
Can't remember ... it's been so long. I will be installing a pre-hung
32" wide door in a new wall I plan to build in my basement. How wide
and tall do I frame the opening? This is not a supporting wall. Do I
need to put a header at the top or will a simple verticle and
horizontal 2 x 4 do? Thanks.

I just measure the prehung door. I do not use the measurements supplied
by the manufacturer, I think they are way too big for my tastes, I go
about 3/4 to one inch larger than the outside measurement.. I attach
directly, w/o shims, on the hinge side (Ensure jack stud is perfect
first) then just shim on the opposite side. Works for me.