Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Ukuleie

http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 3:05 am, (J T) wrote:
http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Ol' Arthur did do a lot of damage to the uke's image, but for real
damage, you had to go to Hawaii where they actually "play" the things.
In two years on Oahu, I never once heard a ukulele used in a way that
didn't offend the ears.

Then again, you don't want to hear my opinion of the samisen. I do
like the sitar, though, at least when played by Ravi Shankar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 10, 3:05 am, (J T) wrote:
http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Ol' Arthur did do a lot of damage to the uke's image, but for real
damage, you had to go to Hawaii where they actually "play" the things.
In two years on Oahu, I never once heard a ukulele used in a way that
didn't offend the ears.

Apparently you've never heard this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J30S6hkiyU

Buddy

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

I guess I'm old, too. I remember Arthur Godfrey and Tennessee Ernie
Ford, and Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk, also.

Used to own Keds and PF-Flyers (one pair at a time ... whichever was
cheapest the week before school started).

Didn't Don Ho molest ukuleles too?

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000764-8, 08/12/2007
Tested on: 8/12/2007 10:53:26 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 8:30 am, Charlie Self wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:05 am, (J T) wrote:

http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Ol' Arthur did do a lot of damage to the uke's image, but for real
damage, you had to go to Hawaii where they actually "play" the things.
In two years on Oahu, I never once heard a ukulele used in a way that
didn't offend the ears.

Herbert Khaury was the final nail.

For first building attempt, try to find a preslotted fretboard. Fret
cutting is half the battle, so many variables to screw up.

Then again, you don't want to hear my opinion of the samisen. I do
like the sitar, though, at least when played by Ravi Shankar.

More strings = more range of expression, maybe?

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

And here is a truely amazing kid (really, he's like 19) that is
singlehandedly undoing all the damage Arthur Godfrey caused:
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com

He is a devotee of George Harrison and does a version of 'My Guitar
Gently Weeps' that IMHO is better that the original. See the video
at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...01773913198414

I saw him in concert and he really changed my idea of ukulele music.
Really, 'Ava Maria' on the ukulele - has to heard to be believed.

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

JOAT,

my mind changed about the ukulele when I saw the Concert for George
Harrison.
Paul got up and told how after dinner with George, the uke's would
come out and they
would sing songs. So, it was cool for two of the Beatles, then it
would
be cool for me. On my "I will build one someday" list.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
JOAT,

my mind changed about the ukulele when I saw the Concert for George
Harrison.
Paul got up and told how after dinner with George, the uke's would
come out and they
would sing songs. So, it was cool for two of the Beatles, then it
would
be cool for me. On my "I will build one someday" list.

MJ Wallace

You're gonna build a Beatle?

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

And here is a truely amazing kid (really, he's like 19) that is
singlehandedly undoing all the damage Arthur Godfrey caused:
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com

He is a devotee of George Harrison and does a version of 'My Guitar
Gently Weeps' that IMHO is better that the original. See the video
at http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...01773913198414

I saw him in concert and he really changed my idea of ukulele music.
Really, 'Ava Maria' on the ukulele - has to heard to be believed.

Israel Kama-kawiwo'ole' and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

If he doesn't put goosebumps on your arms with his voice and uke on that
song, you're dead.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Israel Kama-kawiwo'ole' and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

If he doesn't put goosebumps on your arms with his voice and uke on that
song, you're dead.

Here it is:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w...inbow-israel-k

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w...inbow-israel-k

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Iz was a truly great performer (IZ
is!). It's not often that someone can take such a familiar song and make
it into a new experience. I guess that is what a real musician is. Wish
I was that, but I can only replicate what others have originated.

Regards, PDX David

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jane & David" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w...inbow-israel-k

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Iz was a truly great performer (IZ
is!). It's not often that someone can take such a familiar song and make
it into a new experience. I guess that is what a real musician is. Wish
I was that, but I can only replicate what others have originated.

You're welcome. It hits me like that too.

It is one of those *performances* that, the first time I heard it, I had to
pull over to the side of the road. That's happened maybe three times in my
life, and I've played professionally, with some folks you would recognize,
for over 40 years now.

AAMOF, it was my 22 year old daughter who, from upstairs, heard me searching
for a link to it this morning and told me exactly where to find it ... she's
got good taste, that girl. Raised right!

Simplicity can be truly beautiful!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

INSPIRATION - Pig Box J T Woodworking 0 October 25th 06 04:56 PM
INSPIRATION - Toy Box J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 06 03:01 PM
INSPIRATION - Car Bed J T Woodworking 0 November 11th 05 07:52 PM
INSPIRATION - Bed J T Woodworking 0 September 16th 05 11:01 PM
INSPIRATION - Dog Bed J T Woodworking 2 January 10th 05 03:47 AM