Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default INSPIRATION - Ukuleie

On Aug 10, 8:30 am, Charlie Self wrote:
On Aug 10, 3:05 am, (J T) wrote:

http://www.planetgaa.com/Uke/index.html

I wouldn't make one myself. Most of you probably won't recall him,
but back with I, and television, were young, and stations were few, they
had a guy named Arthur Godfrey on. He'd plunk on one of these damn
things and completely killed any interest in them for all time.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Ol' Arthur did do a lot of damage to the uke's image, but for real
damage, you had to go to Hawaii where they actually "play" the things.
In two years on Oahu, I never once heard a ukulele used in a way that
didn't offend the ears.

Herbert Khaury was the final nail.

For first building attempt, try to find a preslotted fretboard. Fret
cutting is half the battle, so many variables to screw up.

Then again, you don't want to hear my opinion of the samisen. I do
like the sitar, though, at least when played by Ravi Shankar.

More strings = more range of expression, maybe?