Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planer knives are sharp!

Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the
dust chute without gloves.

I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger
straight into one of the knives. The blood, the pain. Luckily my
private duty nurse put some Dermabond (superglue for skin) on the cut
and sealed it right up.

The good news is a sharp blade makes a clean straight cut.

Dave.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:

Interesting, actually it would never have occurred to me to reach
up in one with or without gloves. I'd have used a stick or something -
so I wouldn't run a finger(s) into one of the knives. Does that mean I
do it wrong?.

I guess I just didn't think I reaching up that far. In hind sight, it
was a bit of a brain fart!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

Island Teak wrote:
Interesting...two decades ago I was splitting some bamboo with a
machete....being careful not to
cut myself with the machete.....sliced my hand open with the edge of the
bamboo.
We all do things wrong once....no sense to condescend.

I was helping a buddy with some minor demolition. I'm wearing jeans and
a long-sleeved shirt. I have my safety glasses. I bought some new work
gloves.

I cut the little cord that holds the gloves together with a utility
knife. I was expecting a nylon cord, not cotton thread. The lack of
resistance is spectacular: I neatly slice open my finger, requiring
three stitches.

Safety precautions can be hazardous to your health.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote:
Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the
dust chute without gloves.

I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger
straight into one of the knives. The blood, the pain. Luckily my
private duty nurse put some Dermabond (superglue for skin) on the cut
and sealed it right up.

The good news is a sharp blade makes a clean straight cut.

Be thankful you at least had the smarts to turn it off first.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:17:33 -0400, David Bridgeman
wrote:

Note to self: If jointer clogs with chips don't reach all the way up the
dust chute without gloves.

I was clearing some chips and reached up and ran my index finger
straight into one of the knives. The blood, the pain. Luckily my
private duty nurse put some Dermabond (superglue for skin) on the cut
and sealed it right up.

The good news is a sharp blade makes a clean straight cut.

Dave.

Yes they are sharp.

The Delta, Tupelo factory was designated a refurb center and one of
the units refurbed was the small portable planer. We had more
recordable injuries with planer knives during that period than any
other single cause.

Be extra careful when changing the knives, that the wrench doesn't
slip on the lock screws. that was a primary root cause. Special
wrenches, special gloves eliminated the injuries, but, if you're
handling hundreds of units a day, you can spring for such. If not, be
very careful.

Frank